Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave1423

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2020
I wonder since this came with 9.1 if it can boot at all into 8.6 or even 8.5 for that matter have no clue how to build ROM's so if somebody who understands how to do this could assist me in getting this iBook to boot Mac OS 8.6 that would be great :p

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
I don't know much about G3 like i do G4 and G5. My life with Apple began as a computer tech working at CompUSA back in 2001 - and I bought a G4 350 sawtooth and never even owned a G3. You could try to find the disc set for the ibook g3 and that might have OS 8.6, 8.5 I think won't work due to it being for Motorola 68k processors.

Dave1423

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2020
@LightBulbFun may i ask what happened when you did that and how you did it would love to try myself you never know in a way just like a human every computers different ;)

repairedCheese

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2020
8.5 is for ppc.
7.1 was actually the first version supported on PowerPC hardware, and 8.1 was the last supported by 68k. I realize the 68k to PowerPC transition was a long time ago, and it was at a low time for Apple, but it took from 1992 to 1998 to completely take place. One of the funnier bits of trivia I've picked up about that era is that while the Amiga never got a native port of Duke Nukem 3D, not only did the Mac OS get it, it was a fat binary, the precursor to universal binaries.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
@LightBulbFun may i ask what happened when you did that and how you did it would love to try myself you never know in a way just like a human every computers different ;)
it fell over while loading the Mac OS ROM (ie never even made it to a Happy Mac or Blinking Floppy)

I suspect its something to do with how the video card is setup but im not 100% sure

my FlowerPower iMac G3 also failed to boot Mac OS 8.6 in the same way

(and so did my Sawtooth when I had a GeForce video card installed)

if you just want to test out 8.6 bootability grab the ROM I modded from my 8.6 thread, rename it to something like test

then stick it at the root of your hard drive and in OpenFirmware do

boot hd:,\test

and see what happens if you get to a blinking floppy then theres a good chance you can the Boot Mac OS 8.6

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.