Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chip Boy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2022
Hello everyone,

• I am using Disk Utility to format a brand new Toshiba external hard drive.

• After selecting the option "Show All Devices", a new volume shows up just below the name of the disk, as if it was a sub-folder.

• Which of the two is the one I should format? Both? Only one? Is there an specific order that I should follow in case I should format the two?

I enclose an image so you can have a better idea of the problem.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Rainbowlight

External Hard Drive.png

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"it is always the first icon on the External list that I should choose in order to format it. In my case, it should be TOSHIBA EXTERNAL_USB. Is that right?"

Yes.
You want to click on "the topmost line" for the device.
Then click the erase button.

My recommendations:
Is this a platter based drive (NOT an SSD)?
If so, I suggest the following:
- if it's to be used for a tm backup, or will be bootable, erase to APFS, GUID partition format (if you're using a "late-model" OS, you didn't say)
- if it's to be used for DATA ONLY (not bootable or a tm backup), I recommend that you format it to HFS+ (Mac OS extended with journaling enabled, GUID partition format).

Reactions: Chip Boy

Chip Boy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2022
"it is always the first icon on the External list that I should choose in order to format it. In my case, it should be TOSHIBA EXTERNAL_USB. Is that right?"

Yes.

My recommendations:
- if it's to be used for a tm backup, or will be bootable, erase to APFS, GUID partition format (if you're using a "late-model" OS, you didn't say)
- if it's to be used for DATA ONLY (not bootable or a tm backup), I recommend that you format it to HFS+ (Mac OS extended with journaling enabled, GUID partition format).
My operating system is Monterey (version 12.4)

The drive is a platter-based HDD Toshiba Canvio, with 1 TB of space. It comes with a NTFS default format and the default "partition table" (I am quoting verbatim from my French-language Mac) is MBR.

I am not sure HFS+ is among the choices offered by Disk Utility. I have read elsewhere that Mac OS Extended (Journaled) is also a good choice.

I enclose two images of my screen, so you can see the choice of formats for yourself.

Capture I.png

Capture II.png

Chip Boy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2022

Yes.

My recommendations:
Hello again,

Thank you so much for your help.

Even when I select GUID in the Scheme menu, neither HFS nor HFS + appear as possible choices.

Again, I enclose an image of the screen.

Capture III.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.