Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Robobox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2015
I'm looking at getting a new Mac mini, and after using build-to-order there are two options I'm considering:

$1199 M2 Mac mini with 24GB of unified memory and 512GB SSD

$1699 M2 Pro Mac mini with 10 CPU cores and 8 GPU cores, with 32GB of unified memory and 512GB SSD

I want this mini to last a couple of years (around 3) and plan to use it for some gaming, emulation, a little coding and web browsing. Is the M2 Pro overkill? I don't want to spend too much money but I also don't want something underpowered.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
I'm looking at getting a new Mac mini, and after using build-to-order there are two options I'm considering:

$1199 M2 Mac mini with 24GB of unified memory and 512GB SSD

$1699 M2 Pro Mac mini with 10 CPU cores and 8 GPU cores, with 32GB of unified memory and 512GB SSD

I want this mini to last a couple of years (around 3) and plan to use it for some gaming, emulation, a little coding and web browsing. Is the M2 Pro overkill? I don't want to spend too much money but I also don't want something underpowered.
if your going to spend $1699 may has well just get the Mac Studio has after tax you be spend this about the same price not not close to it

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You might consider an Apple-refurbished M2pro, if they have them where you are.

I use a 2018 Mini that came from Apple-refurbished, it's been fine for 4+ years now.

Algus

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2014
Arizona
The M2 Pro may not be overkill depending on what games you are playing (although in my experience with my M1 Air, it can produce some surprisingly good results in that regard). Looking forward, this porting kit that Apple is planning to introduce could also suggest that gaming-minded users might get a bit more out of the Pro and up chips. That's speculation though.

For the rest of your use case the base chip would be more than satisfactory. As would 16 GB RAM so the fact that you are targeting more RAM means you'll be good to go.

Some food for thought: My Mac mini is an eleven year old 2012 machine that I bought new in 2012. This computer is still excellent for web browsing, media streaming, and light gaming (ie emulation, indie stuff, older 3D games). Don't overspend because you think you need to for the computer to last three years.

Reactions: packeteer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.