Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

james*b

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Hi,
I have a Mac Mini M1 running MacOS Monterey. I have an issue with file saving and file structures.
On my previous Mac, when I opened a file in any program and I saved it as a new version with a new name, it would save this new version to the same folder as the original by default.
Now, what my Mac seems to do is save files to the last location I saved a file to as default. Not to where the file was opened from. I then have to search from the top level of the folder structure down to find the desired folder :(
Could anyone suggest a fix? I am not sure when this started, but it makes everything a lot harder... !!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

IngoX

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2022
Sweden
As far as I recall the ”Save to”-dialog defaults to the last folder used to save to.

Is it possible you used an app as Default Folder X or similar on your previous mac?

zevrix

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
First, various apps can have different behavior when saving files. What apps are you using?

Second, can you describe your process of saving the file as a new version? The app normally would present a dialog where you can select the location (it doesn't just save the file without any control from the user). Or is it where you "have to search from the top level of the folder structure"?

Third, as @IngoX mentioned, you might have used Default Folder previously. And if you don't use Default Folder, I can only recommend you to get it because it will simplify your file saving/opening tasks dramatically with additional options.

Reactions: IngoX
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.