Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

griffmeister

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2015
Hi all,

Will try and explain my query as clearly as possible:

Few weeks back, I insisted that my Gf backed up her phone and updated it - she's too relaxed about this kind of thing! Problem is, she doesn't have a working computer anymore.

So, I used my old MacBook which I no longer use but has my iTunes account logged in etc. At the time, I backed her phone up on my MacBook and updated it. I then performed a restore from that backup. All worked fine.

Fast forward to a few days back when there was another iOS update. That was fine. I did that wirelessly on the phone itself.

Here comes the slightly odd bit. When update was done, I noticed that when we accessed her App Store, it was asking me for my login details and not hers. Why would this happen??

Since then her login details show and not mine but we did not do anything to change that.

So if for arguments sake we shared the same App Store iTunes account then would that mean any app she downloaded would show on my phone? Or if she downloaded an app it would only show on her phone and not mine if I didn't download it? Does it duplicate?

Thanks in advance.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
You likely mixed in apps that were purchased on your account...from a previous backup of an iPhone or iPad of yours, perhaps?

it wouldn't have happened if you had created a separate User Account for your GF on that MacBook and used her AppleID in iTunes.

griffmeister

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2015
You likely mixed in apps that were purchased on your account...from a previous backup of an iPhone or iPad of yours, perhaps?

it wouldn't have happened if you had created a separate User Account for your GF on that MacBook and used her AppleID in iTunes.

Thanks for reply.

So am I right in saying that generally speaking, apps purchased from the App Store will show up on one phone as being purchased (if on same iTunes account) and will not necessarily duplicate/copy over to another?

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
When some apps show updates now they might have to be removed and re-installed because it will want your Apple ID. I had this happen to my friends phone it was a mess until we got all the apps sorted. He was kind of like what did you do to my phone?

giepfuo

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2016
good info,thanks for your sharing
25.gif

griffmeister

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2015
When some apps show updates now they might have to be removed and re-installed because it will want your Apple ID. I had this happen to my friends phone it was a mess until we got all the apps sorted. He was kind of like what did you do to my phone?

Why would my GFs phone needed my login ID though? I remember setting her phone up from restore, where I was asked to put her cloud and apple itunes login, which I entered. Can only assume it's coz her phone was plugged into my iTunes etc.

Main question along with this is, regardless if you share an itunes login or not, any individual download of an app will only appear on a phone if you have physically downloaded it or not?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Thanks for reply.

So am I right in saying that generally speaking, apps purchased from the App Store will show up on one phone as being purchased (if on same iTunes account) and will not necessarily duplicate/copy over to another?

I don't really understand the question.

If you sync a phone that uses AppleID-1 to iTunes on a Mac User Account that user AppleID-2, then you run the risk of having some apps co-mingling between the two AppleID accounts.

zone23's right about cleaning the mis-associated apps off of such an iOS device and you can't tell which ones they are until there's an update. Removing all non-stock apps and redownloading with the proper AppleID is the only way to know the device is "clean" in that way.

Always give the other AppleID device it's own Mac User Account for syncing. I've made accounts for each separate device, even those on the same AppleID, as older devices use older versions of apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.