Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wins app

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2023
macOS
Hi The Best Apple Community and folks👋

I'm Denny, A Solo Developer, I want to share my journey and story in developing a window manager for Mac here

A year ago, I released Wins 1.0 to the word, and I got my first batch users back then, which gave me a huge encouragement and I'm very grateful❤️

Today, one year later, I want to be open and transparent about the current development status and revenue of Wins to the kindness community, to you 💕

About Revenue
In total, I have sold 1,612 licenses, with 701 through the Wins official website and 911 through other channels.

Yes, currently, Wins has fewer than 2,000 users🥹

From all these sales, my total income is $9,485 over the course of one year and three months, it's not too much.

However, Wins has a high number of active users. In the past seven days, there have been over 1,000 users, and in the last 28 days, approximately 2,000 people have used Wins.

I feel incredibly honored that Wins has been able to help you, and I am sincerely grateful for your support in my independent development journey.

About Development Status
During the year, I received a lot of feedback and suggestions, coupled with my understanding of Apple's product philosophy, I want to make something wonderful to bring to the macOS X, so I've added some features that I think are cool in the past year,such as :

1. Dock Window Preview. Now you can directly preview all windows of an app you opened

2. Shake window to hide other windows
. Drag a window, give it a shake, and all other windows will be hidden

3. Move to another display. Quickly move the window to another monitor

4. Hide other windows with shortcut key You can also achieve it👆 using keyboard shortcuts

5. Hide All Windows. One shortcut to hide all windows, and the world becomes clean

I'm a bit of a perfectionist, trying to make the product as perfect and clean as possible, and obviously Wins isn't perfect enough.

I still have a lot of features in mind, such as pin a window puts it at the frontest and support for users to add theirs custom layout to the Floating Split Window and set shortcuts separately and more

In the end
I'm not a famous developer, I don't have much of audiences, I don't know how to market or promote, I just an Apple fan who loves the macOS.

it wasn't an easy year for Wins, But luckily it's alive. I'm alive haha

I currently have a job, but initially, I thought Wins could sustain itself through independent development. However, I later realized that the timing might not be right yet. But I believe that as long as I continue to polish Wins and make it better, it will be able to independently support me in continuously developing new features.

Finally, I almost forgot to mention the most important thing! Haha

👇👇

Wins is offering a 50% discount with code BLACKFRIDAY_2023 during Black Friday.

If you like it and want to support independent development(thanks a lot), or if you haven't tried Wins yet, I hope you give it a try🫶.

Love Apple and you all guys~💖💖

https://wins.cool

(I hope my post doesn't violate community guidelines)

RecentlyConverted

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2015
I just bought it. Will give it a try soon. Good luck with your dream.

It is a bit of an eye opener, the work that goes into these apps and the income (or lack off they generate).

I personally am happy to buy good apps, I won't EVER subscribe. But I expect my app to be maintained (i.e function as it should on all Mac releases).

Any major improvements in the app, I am happy to pay an upgrade for (if I want that feature).

Not sure you should be promising free major version updates, unless you do this for early adopters only and stop this promise in future for new buyers.

Reactions: Wins app

Wins app

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2023
macOS
I just bought it. Will give it a try soon. Good luck with your dream.

It is a bit of an eye opener, the work that goes into these apps and the income (or lack off they generate).

I personally am happy to buy good apps, I won't EVER subscribe. But I expect my app to be maintained (i.e function as it should on all Mac releases).

Any major improvements in the app, I am happy to pay an upgrade for (if I want that feature).

Not sure you should be promising free major version updates, unless you do this for early adopters only and stop this promise in future for new buyers.
Thank you for your kind words. Wins will never turn towards a subscription model. My current commitment is a one-time payment for lifetime updates, rather than offering updates for only the next year, as some software does

This promise is not for early adopters, but for all users, including future purchases.

Additionally, Wins will always be maintained and swiftly adapted to Apple's new macOS each year because it's something I use every day. Just like you in this community, my love for Mac goes beyond profit; it's about creating something I personally use and cherish, updating it annually as macOS evolves

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.