Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marc-50s

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2015
This is a bit of a long story and a unique case. I was hoping anyone can figure out a solution, but I'm not sure where to start, so move this thread to a new location if appropriate.

Not long ago, I installed FondFont on my iPhone running iOS 7. It allows custom font installation, like Anyfont. I tried to install a Chinese serif ttc font called "Songti.ttc" that was about 67MB. In retrospect the font was too large for installation on my iPhone.

It did not work, and the app crashed when I tried to install the ttc file.

Next, I used DfontSplitter on the computer to try and convert the ttc file to individual ttfs. Then I tried to install the ttfs in FondFont on my iPhone.

Long story short, the fonts did not install properly, and now I have an unwanted ttf "STSongti-SC-Black" on my iPhone and there is no way to remove it.

Normally when a font is installed successfully, there is a profile in the iOS settings that contain the fonts, and it can be removed if I want to uninstall the font, but in this case, there is no profile for the unwanted font.

I think there was a Cocoa Error 516 somewhere when I tried installing the individual "Songti" ttf fonts again.

I tried to reset settings without erasing data, but the font remained. Deleting FondFont did not work as well.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxc-myhG-BU0ekJPRERjVHV6dk0/view?usp=sharing
This "STSongti-SC-Black" is normally not included on iOS devices. But because of some corrupted font installation on FondFont, I cannot remove this font at all.

The only options left to remove that unwanted font is to:
1. Erase everything on my iPhone, then restore the backup data one by one with a third party tool.
2. Jailbreak it just to remove that unwanted font. But then again it would be useless for reasons so complicated.

I don't want to do these options without compromising my settings and data.

If anyone with knowledge on fonts on the iPhone file system can help me to remove that font, and I might even try these options mentioned above.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.