Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tim0409

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Hi,

I'm frequently getting suggestions which appear above the keyboard in Safari despite the fact that all the settings for this are turned off. This has been a well known bug in the past but I can't see any recent threads on this. Are others experiencing this issue? It's annoying as none of the suggestions are ever helpful.

Please see attached screenshot.

Thanks

Tim

Attachments

• IMG_0888.jpg
    IMG_0888.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 446

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
I'm frequently getting suggestions which appear above the keyboard in Safari despite the fact that all the settings for this are turned off. This has been a well known bug in the past but I can't see any recent threads on this. Are others experiencing this issue? It's annoying as none of the suggestions are ever helpful.

There's no setting for this, the keyboard predictive text setting does not control it. It is not a bug, it is intended behavior. That doesn't make it *desired* behavior, but it is what it is.

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
There's no setting for this, the keyboard predictive text setting does not control it. It is not a bug, it is intended behavior. That doesn't make it *desired* behavior, but it is what it is.

And what I find interesting is that it picks up topics from what you have been looking at to make the suggestions. So if you've been looking at a picture of a boat, it'll be something about boats (or sometimes the name of the file) or if it's a news item, it'll make suggestions based on words in the news item.
It seems to be linked to certain sites but not all so it may be a script?
Irritating and a bit creepy but I don't know how to switch it off either I'm afraid.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well, I'm not certain if it's not a bug and is intended behavior, it could very well be a bug (even if one that's been there for some time).

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
Well, I'm not certain if it's not a bug and is intended behavior, it could very well be a bug (even if one that's been there for some time).

It's not reasonable that it'd be controlled by the predictive text switch, the suggestions appear without having typed anything. Plus it's screen-scraping the displayed web page, so it's deliberate.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's not reasonable that it'd be controlled by the predictive text switch, the suggestions appear without having typed anything. Plus it's screen-scraping the displayed web page, so it's deliberate.
We can certainly draw connections to things that it might be related to or get ideas of what might behind it, but it doesn't mean that what's there is actually intended behavior and not a bug of some sort.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.