Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stressed

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
I'm sure most everyone gets unwanted texts. It just so happens that I get text messages from different phone numbers with different content except for 1 thing, an address. Basically the text asks if I want to sell a particular address. I know it's a scam seeing I don't own the address. Wouldn't it be nice if an iPhone owner could enter specific text so if that text is found in a text message, the text message is not received; basically a filter or blocker of some kind. All I would have to do is enter the address that keeps showing up in these scam texts and then I would never be bugged by them again. When deleting the text message, I don't believe the Delete and Report that Apple allows you to select actually does aything. Anyone know of a way to filter or block texts with specific text, and if not, I wonder if Apple has ever considered this?

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
Just block the phone number sending the texts?
You cannot block specific words or phrases as the iMessages are encrypted and sms can be blocked easily.

stressed

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
@RRC I've been blocking the phone numbers each time I get one of these text messages. I have blocked hundreds of numbers (I would really like to have a sort feature when looking at those numbers - Apple are you reading this?). Of course the scammers are using a large bank of phone numbers to do this with so I get to block at least one per day, sometimes more. They are always getting through, one way or another. If I had the ability to block these text messages based on specific text in the message, I would never get them. That would be sooooo much better. Apple, are you reading this?

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
I'm sure most everyone gets unwanted texts. It just so happens that I get text messages from different phone numbers with different content except for 1 thing, an address. Basically the text asks if I want to sell a particular address. I know it's a scam seeing I don't own the address. Wouldn't it be nice if an iPhone owner could enter specific text so if that text is found in a text message, the text message is not received; basically a filter or blocker of some kind. All I would have to do is enter the address that keeps showing up in these scam texts and then I would never be bugged by them again. When deleting the text message, I don't believe the Delete and Report that Apple allows you to select actually does aything. Anyone know of a way to filter or block texts with specific text, and if not, I wonder if Apple has ever considered this?

‘As a landlord I get like 10 offers a day to buy one of my rentals. They must be looking at our counTy property tax rolls to see who owns what. They can not call me as my phone only accepts calls if you are in my contact list. SO, these people then text! You can block the number that it looks like they texted from but the number is likely spoofed and there is an inexhaustible supply of numbers. Texts become a pest just like calls. Between AT&T’s Call Protect and adjustment on my phone, I am bothered much less. The texts still get through but there is no notification so it no longer bothers me. I just look at them and erase at the end of the day.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
Just block the phone number sending the texts?
You cannot block specific words or phrases as the iMessages are encrypted and sms can be blocked easily.

‘Does not help as they can use any number they wish.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
Can you block all texts except those from numbers in the address book?

A couple of years ago I also started getting text messages from email addresses. I haven't seen any of those since moving from Verizon to T-Mobile.

stressed

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
@usmaak Is there a capability for blocking all texts from numbers not in your contact list?
I've been getting some texts from email addresses as well.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022

A couple of years ago I also started getting text messages from email addresses. I haven't seen any of those since moving from Verizon to T-Mobile.
There is a “filter unknown senders” in settings, messages. It says it sorts messages into another separate list. I am going to try that and see what happens. Very interesting.

stressed

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
I have given my phone number out to many, including companies, who have yet to contact me; I didn't get their phone numbers to put in my contact list. I would not want to block, or redirect, any phone numbers, or texts, coming in that aren't in my contact list. Blocking/redirecting the person, or company, may not always be good.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
So this is happening to me for an interesting reason. Do a Google search on your phone number. For mine I get some hits for a different person that we'll call "Mike". I constantly get SMS texts from people looking to buy the house at Mike's address. Like you I block every single number, which feels pointless because it's always a new number texting me. I don't know if Mike made a mistake registering his phone number or this was his phone number over ten years ago. I can't block texts from unknown contacts because I get valid texts from unknown contacts all the time.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022

I have given my phone number out to many, including companies, who have yet to contact me; I didn't get their phone numbers to put in my contact list. I would not want to block, or redirect, any phone numbers, or texts, coming in that aren't in my contact list. Blocking/redirecting the person, or company, may not always be good.

I believe you would change your mind if you got over 10 calls a day from people wanting to buy one of your rental properties. I clearly state in my voice mail message that due to the number of telemarketing calls, please leave a message or text me and I will get back to you. These people can call, even late at night.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
@Jackbequickly I hear ya! My iPhone is also my alarm clock. I end up having to put my iPhone on vibrate mode just so I don't get woken up at night from all of these text messages.
You don't have to do that! Set up a sleep focus or do not disturb focus to come on automatically at night and your notifications won't make noise.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
@MisterSavage Ditto.

@Jackbequickly I hear ya! My iPhone is also my alarm clock. I end up having to put my iPhone on vibrate mode just so I don't get woken up at night from all of these text messages.

‘I keep my volume low enough where if I am not awake I never hear the notification. If I am awake I can hear it. Most the telemarketers that are not already blacked quit around 11pm or so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.