Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBookpro2011

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I am using a MacBook Pro 2011 with OS X EI Capitan Ver: 10.11.6 is it possible for me to upgrade to OS Sierra 10.2 which is showing on my end as free. Or even a newer available OS? I upgraded my harddrive last year to a SSD and has been running much better. I have 4GB of memory installed. Under About This Mac and then Software Updates it doesn't show any available, does this mean I cannot upgrade to a higher OS? Under Applications Folder/Install macOS Sierra with a down arrow. I think I was going to do this a long time back but never bothered. Any opinions or advice on doing this. Thankyou.

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I am using a MacBook Pro 2011 with OS X EI Capitan Ver: 10.11.6 is it possible for me to upgrade to OS Sierra 10.2 which is showing on my end as free. I upgraded my harddrive last year to a SSD and has been running much better. The free ver of OS Sierra 10.2 may fix my iTunes login issue but not sure. I have 4GB of memory installed. Any opinions or advice on doing this. Thankyou.
That computer will support up to 10.13.6, High Sierra. That was supported for a year longer than 10.12 Sierra so it would make sense to go to that rather than Sierra.

Reactions: MacBookpro2011

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
I would upgrade to Sierra first, do all the updates for Sierra and then update to High Sierra and do any updates for that.

You can upgrade the memory in your machine to 16GB (2x8GB) RAM. 4GB is not a lot these days and you'd likely have a lot of swapping to the SSD with just 4GB.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I would upgrade to Sierra first, do all the updates for Sierra and then update to High Sierra and do any updates for that.
That’s completely unnecessary extra work. Upgrading from El Capitan to High Sierra is fully supported.

Kent W

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2019
Kullavik, Halland, Sweden, EU
If you have the MBP without the AMD GPU (or disable it) you can unofficially upgrade your 2011 MBP up to Catalina. It's very straight forward with Dosdude1's wizard tool. See other threads in this forum. I have done it on one of the 2011 Mac's in the family and it keeps up well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.