Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 24, 2001
Chechen rebels have stormed a large theatre in Moscow taking up to 1000 people hostage. They are thought to have mined the building and will detonate it if the military intervenes. The group's leader says that the hostages will not be released until Russian troops withdraw for Chechnya. The group has stated that they intend to die in the process, they have released child and muslim hostages from the building.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/2354753.stm

This looks very bad, thats alot people for a hostage grab, but unfortunantly the more people the more effective your message.

This just another example of the times we are in, Terrorists are the new public enemy number 1.

I guess Geroge Bush will find a way to turn this into an excuse to invade Iraq:rolleyes:

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Damn, this isn't good - they came right out and said they're a suicide squad - 40 of them, that's going to be tough. And the whole world will be watching, I wonder how many people will survive?

I hope this doesn't give any ideas to other extremists.

D

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I don't think any help from America will be needed, they'll handle it themselves, one way or the other. But with so many terrorists (40 or so and some women) it isn't good. That and the fact that the Chechen rebel leader doesn't know anything about them and condems using civilians just makes the issue more difficult.

elensil

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
Possible progress of the story

Chechens demand that Russia would withdraw forces from Chechnya. They threaten to kill all the hostages if a single shot is fired from outside of the building.

Even if Russia decides to comply with terrorists and remove forces from Chechnya, they are likely to demand to take hostages to Chechnya to ensure that Russain forces would stay out of Chechnya.

Looks like a very sad story to me. There's isn't much to do.
But check out the arrogance of Americans saying "Maybe Bush should help, Doh!".

elensil

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
Russia does not support Iraq, they are just trying to "sell" their right to Veto in UN Security Councel for as much as possible. Chechens are correct from strategic point of view. Russia might have been looking for UN to close their eyes on Chechnya as a trade for Russian Iraq vote.

diorio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2002
Wow, 1000 people is a lot to kill. That would be like Russians 9/11 (though not quite as severe) . Hopefully the Russians find a way to save the people.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by diorio
Wow, 1000 people is a lot to kill. That would be like Russians 9/11 (though not quite as severe) . Hopefully the Russians find a way to save the people.

1 person is a lot to kill. This won't be good, since they've already killed.

What gets me is that they managed to get 40 people into town, armed and carying bombs, with out someone getting caught or giving it away. Nutso!

elensil

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
Actually getting 40 people with bombs into a city is relatively easy, if done over time. Especially if that city has 18million pp.
Chechen definitely have an infrastructure in Moscow.

What's getting to me is how can pp in Pentagon look at Burtning Twins on TV for 12 minutes and get hit by another plane. Aren't there any security systems in Pentagon against a possible airstrike?

Also, what is easier to watch thousands pp die in several minutes or wait untill 700 die slowly one by one?

Numbers are irrelevant. One life is too much already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.