Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fBaran

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2003
I just got Panther 30mins ago :)D ), but it didn't come in a box. Just a slip with the CDs and the manual and coupons. Am I the only one? I thought I paid 20 bucks for the box too!

Col127

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2003
i received the panther UTD without a box too. but i wasn't expecting one! to get panther for $33 CDN is a pretty sweet deal in my opinion, box or no box.. of course it would have been nice.

i doubt that apple would ship the UTDs in the full box..

fBaran

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2003
Shipped Fed Ex. I think the CDs do full install, as well as archive and just upgrade. I don't really feel like knowing, if you catch my drift. But still, 20 bucks is awesome for an upgrade. I actually got really lucky (sorta). My parents bought an eMac the 2 of Oct, but it was defective (burn mark in screen), so we returned it on the 8 and got the free upgrade. I missed out on the new eMac deals, but I got w/ edu discount so no biggy. Recent switcher. OS X rocks my WORLD!

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Just in time ...

The FedEx truck just left my office and the oddest thing happened. The driver delivered two black cats. One was in a box and the other was snuggled in an envelope. I know it's close to Halloween. These two cats will look nice perched next to my eMac and G5 with spooky music playing. I can hardly wait to get them home and feed them. WOOO HOOO !!!!!

softwiz500

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2003
My Up-To-Date pack is happily doing an archive-and-install right now on the iMac we got it for. It seems to be the retail discs. I don't see anything calling it an upgrade...

switchingGeek

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2003
Dallas, Texas
:-( Installed 10.3 with just upgrade - I bought my 12" PBook only 2 weeks ago haven't installed much. But now, Safari doesn't work :-(( I don't know which other apps are not working.

The online version of Safari is 1.0, which refuses to install. Any suggestions?

Col127

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2003
the UTD discs can do a full install. if you click customize, there's an option for a clean install, but seeing as i don't want to reinstall all my apps, i just upgraded it. the performance on panther is amazing. all apps are much more responsive.

OziMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2003
Box or not, you people are so lucky. Not only has my Up-to-Date not arrived, but the status is still "Open". I am green with envy. But as long as you are enjoying it, I can vicariously be happy... ;)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Re: Up-to-Date no box?

Originally posted by fBaran
I just got Panther 30mins ago :)D ), but it didn't come in a box. Just a slip with the CDs and the manual and coupons. Am I the only one? I thought I paid 20 bucks for the box too!

If you really want Mac OS boxes, I'll dig up and send you my Mac OS 7.6, 8.0, 8.5, and 9.0 boxes. :D

Be glad you're not adding to the wasted boxes problem. :D

Panther Blue

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2003
US of A
Very true, you're not dealing with the tree huggers today. (jp!)

Um, could I put that upgrade CD on an iMac if i ordered it for the G5 with up-todate?

(in the even that i wouldn't put it on the g5, b/c i am soooo against software piracy :wink:)

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
To: SwitchingGeek

Safari 1.0 does not work on 10.3.
10.3 includes Safari 1.1

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
Re: Up-to-Date no box?

Originally posted by fBaran

Noramlly the UP-TO-DATE packages do not come in the original box. Mac OS 10.1 upgrade came in a nice folder, but in the past they only came with book (coupons if it was a newer OS), and manuals.

-Hugh

Mr. G4

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2002
Rohnert Park, CA
You have to have OSX installed on that patition though, you cannot just install on a blanck patition.

Originally posted by Col127
the UTD discs can do a full install. if you click customize, there's an option for a clean install, but seeing as i don't want to reinstall all my apps, i just upgraded it. the performance on panther is amazing. all apps are much more responsive.

drjekyl

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2003
Originally posted by Mr. G4
You have to have OSX installed on that patition though, you cannot just install on a blanck patition.

So does anyone know what it is that won't let you install the Up-to-date discs on a freshly formatted drive? I hate to think that when I want to change my partitions that I have to install 10.2 and then install the Up-to-date discs to have panther up and running.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.