Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GPap

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 5, 2014
Hello everybody,
I may will purchase the new Mac Pro in December and I was wondering :
Can I connect any screen on this beast ? I'm interested in one screen only (not multiscreen)
but I'm not sure which one yet. I'll use it for programming most, so definitely I need to rotate the screen.
Is it possible the machine to demands the Pro Display XDR ? It is too much for my pocket and I'm looking for alternatives.
What is your experience saying ?

* If it's not appropriate discussion please remove my question.

Thanks, John

Reactions: OkiRun

OkiRun

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2019
Japan

I purchased this one for a PC Unit.
LG UltraFine Display Thunderbolt 3 connectivity
The presence of two Thunderbolt 3 ports means that the LG UltraFine Display is compatible with Mac computers.

The display's base stand only can go up and down. It cannot rotate. You would have to purchase a VESA compatible monitor arm and mount it.​
HMUB2
LG UltraFine 5K Display​

出荷日: 1営業日​

お届け予定日: 金 2019/09/27 : 時間帯指定(19時〜21時)​
¥ 144,800​

Reactions: GPap

bob_stan

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2019
Central New York
I use a Dell U2723HM which has hdmi/display port connections and rotates easily from landscape to portrait. I am sure they have more current monitors that do the same.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Is it possible the machine to demands the Pro Display XDR ? ...

No. It is not required or demanded by Apple in the slightest.

Every single GPU that Apple has in the tech specs has a HDMI 2.0 connector on it. All of them .
The XDR has zero HDMI connectors. So what is suppose to hook to the HDMI connectors that Apple has made pragmatically ubiquitous on the Mac Pro ? Extremely probably some other screens than the XDR.

Apple will more than gleefully take the money from someone how really doesn't need a XDR but buys one anyway. They aren't going to discourage that at all, but they aren't demanding folks buy one.

P.S. in current apple online store in the check out process for a Mac Mini (or any TBv3 Mac) Apple suggests options that include the LG Ultrafine monitors. Those monitors will probably be options on checkout for new Mac Pro too. ( current checkout for the ancient Mac Pro has nothing. That won't turn into only the XDR when the new Mac Pro comes. )

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.