Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danielaaron94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2019
Washington
So after two long weeks of trial and error i FINALLY got El Capitan 10.11.4 up and running on the old mac pro 1,1 WITH a boot screen.

Now i am extremely hesitant to install any further updates. Luckily the DMG i acquired was already 10.11.4, however, with automatic updates turned off, i have update 10.11.6 sitting in the app store.

My questions is, is it safe to install this update? I have been doing some research and i cant seem to find any info on this particular update being safe for an unsupported mac. Will it require CapitanPikeFix?

Also, I have Lion installed on a separate HDD, will i be able to replace the bootefi through lion worst case scenario?

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
So after two long weeks of trial and error i FINALLY got El Capitan 10.11.4 up and running on the old mac pro 1,1 WITH a boot screen.

Now i am extremely hesitant to install any further updates. Luckily the DMG i acquired was already 10.11.4, however, with automatic updates turned off, i have update 10.11.6 sitting in the app store.

My questions is, is it safe to install this update? I have been doing some research and i cant seem to find any info on this particular update being safe for an unsupported mac. Will it require CapitanPikeFix?

Also, I have Lion installed on a separate HDD, will i be able to replace the bootefi through lion worst case scenario?
Don't update. The security update requires an instruction set not supported by the older Xeons.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.