Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
We shall see, Stacey. :p I predict you won’t last once the announcement is made and the fever pitch on MR runs high.

Well I’m trying not to frequent those threads as much, but yeah, I can’t say for sure. I just know I’m thinking about it a bit differently, and hoping I can remind myself of all that, and how much I enjoy this little phone, over the next few months.

nrvous1

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2019
San Antonio, TX
I recently got a good deal on an IPhone 7 on Swappa. Cheaper than an iPod Touch and just planning on using it as an iPod Touch/backup phone. I have to say, I miss the lightness and touch ID. this is really a solid phone still. I will probably take it out with me when I go to the store so I can use Touch ID to pay since Face ID doesn’t work with masks. I may play around with it for a few days and test it out as my daily driver. It makes my 11 Pro feel like a brick when I use it. I am contemplating selling my 11 Pro if I end up liking this and just using it till the 12 comes out. I don’t know, but the size has me sold.
That’s the exact reason why my 11 pro has sat in my bedroom drawer for the last 20+ days. I purchased the 2020 se new from Apple about 3-4 weeks ago and have been loving using it everyday since it’s a lot smaller and lighter than my 11 pro. I’ll end up selling the 11 pro or trading it in for 5.4” 12.

Reactions: parker5011

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
After being settled with the SE for a month or so now, I have to say, I’m liking it more and more. I really don’t know if I’m gonna change it.

I’m sure there will be some temptation in the fall, but my mindset has really changed since going to this phone, and I’m liking it! I have always gotten new phones every year, and always felt a need to have the latest and greatest (well, mostly - I’ve never done a pro, mainly because of the OLED, but also because I just can’t justify spending the money), but now I’m honestly just enjoying having a device that does what I need it to do, but is inexpensive (as far as phones go), lightweight and manageable. It’s been refreshing.

Yeah, I always got tempted in the fall - this was no different with the 11 Pro. I’ve come to the realization now that I really only use my phone for calls, texts, social media, pictures. The basic stuff. I love the pro battery life, but I love the SE/7 weight, but I also love the screen of the 11 Pro. I‘m going to see what the 12 offers before I jump though since I do really love the 11 Pro as well.

[automerge]1597998276[/automerge]
That’s the exact reason why my 11 pro has sat in my bedroom drawer for the last 20+ days. I purchased the 2020 se new from Apple about 3-4 weeks ago and have been loving using it everyday since it’s a lot smaller and lighter than my 11 pro. I’ll end up selling the 11 pro or trading it in for 5.4” 12.

How different is the battery life on the SE? Do you have to plug it in more often throughout the day?

Last edited:

nrvous1

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2019
San Antonio, TX
Yeah, I always got tempted in the fall - this was no different with the 11 Pro. I’ve come to the realization now that I really only use my phone for calls, texts, social media, pictures. The basic stuff. I love the pro battery life, but I love the SE/7 weight, but I also love the screen of the 11 Pro. I‘m going to see what the 12 offers before I jump though since I do really love the 11 Pro as well.

[automerge]1597998276[/automerge]

How different is the battery life on the SE? Do you have to plug it in more often throughout the day?
Battery life is noticeable. I could easily make it through a day on my 11 pro and end up with around 40-50% life left while my se ends the day at about 10-12%. If I am on the se for more than a few hours watching YouTube or if the frequency of my text messages and calls pick up, I’ll have to charge the se for about 30 minutes sometime during the day to make it to the end of the day. It’s not as bad as many have said, but it’s not as good as any of the 11 models.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Battery life is noticeable. I could easily make it through a day on my 11 pro and end up with around 40-50% life left while my se ends the day at about 10-12%. If I am on the se for more than a few hours watching YouTube or if the frequency of my text messages and calls pick up, I’ll have to charge the se for about 30 minutes sometime during the day to make it to the end of the day. It’s not as bad as many have said, but it’s not as good as any of the 11 models.

One bonus is how quickly it charges though. I’m always surprised to pick mine up after a little while on the charger and see that it’s almost full.

Any time I’m out mine is plugged into my car for Apple play also, so it is always fully charged when I arrive somewhere.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Good idea. Keep strong. Prove me wrong. ;)

Well at some point this SE has to go to my granddaughter because I promised her, but the question will be do I buy another SE or something from the 12 lineup. The only one that would be of interest to me is the 5.4, and I’m still not sure that’s gonna be for me. Making the jump to OLED makes me nervous. Where the notch never bothered me before, I kind of get annoyed with it now. The 5.4 would have to be pretty amazing to make me switch, and I just can’t see myself going back to anything that is bigger/heavier.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Well at some point this SE has to go to my granddaughter because I promised her, but the question will be do I buy another SE or something from the 12 lineup. The only one that would be of interest to me is the 5.4, and I’m still not sure that’s gonna be for me. Making the jump to OLED makes me nervous. Where the notch never bothered me before, I kind of get annoyed with it now. The 5.4 would have to be pretty amazing to make me switch, and I just can’t see myself going back to anything that is bigger/heavier.
That scenario makes sense. You could order the 5.4 and if you liked cit enough to keep, then your granddaughter gets the SE that much quicker.!

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
That scenario makes sense. You could order the 5.4 and if you liked cit enough to keep, then your granddaughter gets the SE that much quicker.!

Yeah. I’m looking forward to seeing the final product, mainly because I’m wondering how many rumors are correct, but still not positive it’ll be for me.

Honestly I’ve been feeling the same way about my iPP. It’s WAY more iPad than I really need. I justified it because I was selling my iMac, but it’s still a lot of iPad for my use case. I could easily be using an Air (probably a base model if truth be told, but I wouldn’t want the older processor). And honestly, as much as I love the MK, I was a huge fan of the ASK.

The only thing I think I would really miss if I got rid of my pro is the Face ID. I don’t particularly love it on the phone any more than touch, but on the iPad, because it’s typically on the MK situated right in front of me, Face ID is nice. Stuff opens without my even having to think about it.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
One bonus is how quickly it charges though. I’m always surprised to pick mine up after a little while on the charger and see that it’s almost full.

Any time I’m out mine is plugged into my car for Apple play also, so it is always fully charged when I arrive somewhere.

I’m curious, you had the regular 11 at one point, Right? Is the weight similar to the 11 Pro at all?

nrvous1

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2019
San Antonio, TX

When the se is charged using the 18w charger that came with my 11 pro; charge speed is significantly increased. I do like that the se has quick charge.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
When the se is charged using the 18w charger that came with my 11 pro; charge speed is significantly increased. I do like that the se has quick charge.
Yea not quite as fast as some, but when I tested, it was close to 13W, and that's also what I read afterwards.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I’m curious, you had the regular 11 at one point, Right? Is the weight similar to the 11 Pro at all?

The regular 11 is a little heavier than the 11 pro, and considerably bigger. I think the 11 pro is the perfect size phone, and if they made something that size but lighter weight (and regular features vs pro features, so cheaper), I’d be all over it!

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south

I charge mine with the bigger iPad charger - not always my pro charger, but one of the ones from the Air 3 that’s always hanging around my living room from my grandkids.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
The regular 11 is a little heavier than the 11 pro, and considerably bigger. I think the 11 pro is the perfect size phone, and if they made something that size but lighter weight (and regular features vs pro features, so cheaper), I’d be all over it!

Wow, I’m glad I didn’t originally go with the 11 then. I came from the X which was super light so I knew that screen size was peffect. Really missing my X now since it was so light

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
Wow, I’m glad I didn’t originally go with the 11 then. I came from the X which was super light so I knew that screen size was peffect. Really missing my X now since it was so light
iPhone X----------6.14 ounces
iPhone 11 Pro----6.63 ounces
iPhone 11--------6.84 ounces
iPhone SE 2020--5.22 ounces

Reactions: tt061282

Robbosan

Suspended
Aug 21, 2020
Seriously thinking of selling my 11 pro 256gb for $1400aud here and getting the 64gb SE for $749 while there is still some value in the 11 pro, will probably drop more closer to the 12 release, am only using 28gb.
I owe $1k on the pro so after tax back the Se would cost me $290 roughly and would own it. Also a tax right off.
Am not a heavy user but like the better camera and FID, not sure how much worse it is. I work from home mostly and have a iPad 11 pro I probably use more.
If I do and the small 5.4” wins me over the SE would go to my daughter who has a 7. It’s a hard decision.

austyn23

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2017
Seriously thinking of selling my 11 pro 256gb for $1400aud here and getting the 64gb SE for $749 while there is still some value in the 11 pro, will probably drop more closer to the 12 release, am only using 28gb.
I owe $1k on the pro so after tax back the Se would cost me $290 roughly and would own it. Also a tax right off.
Am not a heavy user but like the better camera and FID, not sure how much worse it is. I work from home mostly and have a iPad 11 pro I probably use more.
If I do and the small 5.4” wins me over the SE would go to my daughter who has a 7. It’s a hard decision.

Do it NOW, the price of the 11P is very good on the used market.

I switch from the 11P to the SE, I will never spend (again) over 1000 dls on a phone.

The design of the SE feels dated (is dated) so I will be pulling the trigger on the 5,4 for sure.

If the lineup this year were all 6,1 to 6,5 I would not change the SE; but the 5,4 is promising.

Robbosan

Suspended
Aug 21, 2020

I switch from the 11P to the SE, I will never spend (again) over 1000 dls on a phone.

The design of the SE feels dated (is dated) so I will be pulling the trigger on the 5,4 for sure.

If the lineup this year were all 6,1 to 6,5 I would not change the SE; but the 5,4 is promising.

All the 12 phones will be over $1k here, mine was $2k lol.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014

I’m going to wait for the 5.4 to come out and see if I like what it has to offer, and will trade my 11 pro or sell it for that. I’d love to sell it for the SE but since it’s so close to an iPhone launch I’d rather wait.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014

Also another random question.. does the SE have the same LTE bands as the 11 series or is it a bit older? Do you notice your reception change at all or no?

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Also another random question.. does the SE have the same LTE bands as the 11 series or is it a bit older? Do you notice your reception change at all or no?

My reception is no worse for sure, and that’s something I pay really close attention to since we don’t live in an area with good cell service. Right now I have a single LTE bar on my 2020 iPad Pro, and 2 bars on my SE. Thank goodness for WiFi, even though mine is notorious for being crappy in bad weather.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
My reception is no worse for sure, and that’s something I pay really close attention to since we don’t live in an area with good cell service. Right now I have a single LTE bar on my 2020 iPad Pro, and 2 bars on my SE. Thank goodness for WiFi, even though mine is notorious for being crappy in bad weather.

Hmm. I’m really tempted now as I can sell my 11 Pro and get the 128GB SE for free pretty much, and even have enough for AC+. Only downfall is the 5.4” 12 is right around the corner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.