Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Oh! Scouser? If so, Red? Blue? Neither?
You got it :) Red, but mostly neither as lived out of the UK for the vast majority of my life. Last 20 years in and out of China & Malaysia and most of SE Asia. Prior to that 15 years in Germany...

Yeah we get around and then some, such is the nature of the beast LOL.

Q-6

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: scouser75

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
You lucky lucky guy. My wife and I were just last night saying how much we'd love to be in SE Asia. My friend has been doing the same as you for the last 10 years as a teacher.

Reactions: Queen6

primo_levi93

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2023
An update guys - Apple could not resolve the issue and I've now been offered a replacement. I might even receive an M2 in return 😁 🤞

Has anyone else had this issue on their M1 Pro?
Me from 31 May 2023! Am facing the exact issue with auto-brightness only working intermittently; when I restart, the auto-brightness works, but after a while it stops

How did your process with Apple go? Did you have to spend a whole day with them to test your laptop?

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Hi mate sorry to ready this.

I didn't buy my MBP from Apple.

The retailer I bought from initially asked me to speak with Apple to see if the issue could be fixed. Apple advised it couldn't be fixed. I then returned the MBP and after a full test the retailer exchanged the faulty M1 for an M2.

Bruno9988

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2023
Are you using the "Better Display" app? I had the same problem, and just in case, I closed the "Better Display" app and it went away.

I also unchecked "Enable software-based video adjustments" in the app's settings after launching "Better Display", and now I'm not experiencing any issues.

Reactions: scouser75

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Are you using the "Better Display" app? I had the same problem, and just in case, I closed the "Better Display" app and it went away.

I also unchecked "Enable software-based video adjustments" in the app's settings after launching "Better Display", and now I'm not experiencing any issues.
I wasn't using any additional apps and was running totally stock.

I've since this issue started been told that when the screen goes dim in dull lighting, this is normal and you'd need to manually adjust the brightness.

MausKriminel

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2021
is there no way to rest the display brightness to default? once you alter the brightness how does the auto brightness function work? it will not work correct. I have been using apple notebooks since powerbooks and never has the auto brightness adjust so low.
In iOS turning it on and off resets the behaviour. On macOS it does nothing. Talk about inconsistent behaviour.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
In iOS turning it on and off resets the behaviour. On macOS it does nothing. Talk about inconsistent behaviour.
I really don't understand the thinking behind Apple's decisions 🤦

In certain lights, the auto-dimming is so bad that I have to manually adjust it BUT the screen is so dim, it's difficult to actually find the dim function in the tool bar 😂

francoc02o

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
This week I just got a new 16" MacBook Pro M1 Pro for work, as a replacement for my previous Macbook. It was brand new, out of box, and noticed immediately this brightness issue. While I was on my desk, next to a window, the screen brightness (untouched, still in factory default) was great, but as soon I moved to my bed or other place in my house, even though there was good lighting, the screen dimmed so low that was barely watchable. Then I had to manually adjust the brightness up. And now, when I went back to my desk (next to the window) the brightness went up to their max, which was also uncomfortable, so I had to manually adjust the brightness down.
I told this issue to my fried who I know has the exactly same MacBook model for a couple years, and he told me he had the same brightness issue, so he disabled the automatic brightness adjustment (he gave up).
Simultaneously, this week a bough a new 14" MacBook Pro M3 Pro for my personal use, and this one has no brightness issue. This one works perfectly.
I was checking on internet ands found a couple more cases with the issue, but coincidently, they have the same 16" MacBook Pro M1 device, so Im thinking this is an issue specifically on that device model.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
This week I just got a new 16" MacBook Pro M1 Pro for work, as a replacement for my previous Macbook. It was brand new, out of box, and noticed immediately this brightness issue. While I was on my desk, next to a window, the screen brightness (untouched, still in factory default) was great, but as soon I moved to my bed or other place in my house, even though there was good lighting, the screen dimmed so low that was barely watchable. Then I had to manually adjust the brightness up. And now, when I went back to my desk (next to the window) the brightness went up to their max, which was also uncomfortable, so I had to manually adjust the brightness down.
I told this issue to my fried who I know has the exactly same MacBook model for a couple years, and he told me he had the same brightness issue, so he disabled the automatic brightness adjustment (he gave up).
Simultaneously, this week a bough a new 14" MacBook Pro M3 Pro for my personal use, and this one has no brightness issue. This one works perfectly.
I was checking on internet ands found a couple more cases with the issue, but coincidently, they have the same 16" MacBook Pro M1 device, so Im thinking this is an issue specifically on that device model.
I got this issue again this week BIG TIME! I'm wondering it's due to the recent software update, which I only just done a few days ago.

I was using the MBP and moved it to a slightly duller room and as soon as I lifted the lid and unlocked the screen dimmed to the point where I couldn't even see the cursor. I had to turn the room lights on to see the cursor and then increase the brightness. I'm on the laptop most of today so will test if it happens again. Although it is super bright right now in the room so doubt I'll be able to test it much.

Reactions: francoc02o

francoc02o

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
I can definitely see this issue only affecting my 16" Pro MacBook Pro M1 Pro. My 14" MacBook Prop M3 Pro works perfectly, and I compare them side by side, under the same light conditions.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Mine went pear shaped again yesterday. The screen was so dull I had to turn the torch on on my phone to find the cursor to then increase brightness. 😂

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.