Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coxy

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2013
Is it possible to update a brand new iOS device to a newer software version straight out of the box without setting it up/activating?

I have a new iPad Pro coming today and would like to use the iOS 11 new device setup feature. I have a Mac here with me if an iTunes update is necessary.

Thanks in advance for any help

garlicbread24

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2015
I don’t believe so. Needs to be setup first. However you can update and then reset all settings to setup again

Coxy

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2013
Hmmm, I thought as much. I wonder if it can be put straight into recovery mode and then I can upload the IPSW via the Mac?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hmmm, I thought as much. I wonder if it can be put straight into recovery mode and then I can upload the IPSW via the Mac?
If you put it into recovery mode it should pull the latest update from Apple on its own as part of the recovery process.

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
Just put in your wifi password and leave all the other options blank, then download the update when iTunes asks, unplug tor iPad and wait for the download to finish. Go to your library-iTunes-iPad software updates then copy it to the desktop. Plug your iPad back in and hit option and click restore. Locate the file on your desktop and restore!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.