Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
How long do you think the product update cycle will be for the iPad? Once a year, or more frequently like computers?

I want a Rev. B but I have a sinking feeling it will be a one year update cycle, like iPods are now. Then again, early on it might see an update after 3-4 months to work out major bugs, and then settle into a more prolonged cycle. What do you think?

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
It's probably an annual cycle but who knows. The fact your asking about a Rev B already (59 days before its release) suggest you're probably more on the line towards buying the first gen.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Yearly or longer if Apple turns this into niche product like the Mac mini/Apple TV, my bets are on 12-24 months cycle. Most of the major bugs will be software related and patched whenever. Any hardware bugs will just result into a minor hardware refresh, nothing new.

goobot

macrumors 604
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
It's probably an annual cycle but who knows. The fact your asking about a Rev B already (59 days before its release) suggest you're probably more on the line towards buying the first gen.

well due to it being 500+ i hoping more than a year so i get my moneys worth where the iphone is a year cause it 200 and needs upgrades

Etnies419

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
Can we refer to the update cycle of the iPad as it's flow?
:D
I'm sorry, I had to. As much as I abhor the tampon jokes, I couldn't pass it up. It will most likely be 1 year though.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
I'm leaning towards a one year cycle myself, and would have no problems buying the Rev. A if I knew it was good for a year, but something tells me they will do a quick update after 3-4, or maybe 6 months to address shortcomings or build more hype by making early buyers flip their into the second-hand market by introducing a camera or something shortly after Apple's cashed in on the Rev. A models...that would indeed be irritating.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
well due to it being 500+ i hoping more than a year so i get my moneys worth where the iphone is a year cause it 200 and needs upgrades

iPhone isn't $200, it's $499-599 depending on the size. Everybody pay more over the term of the contract, that's the point. You can't upgrade to a new model without extending the contract, so you're still paying for the first iPhone when you upgrade. So the value of the product has nothing to do with the refresh cycles.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
I personally think it will be longer than a year. It will software enhancements for some time.

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
I'm leaning towards a one year cycle myself, and would have no problems buying the Rev. A if I knew it was good for a year, but something tells me they will do a quick update after 3-4, or maybe 6 months to address shortcomings or build more hype by making early buyers flip their into the second-hand market by introducing a camera or something shortly after Apple's cashed in on the Rev. A models...that would indeed be irritating.

Well, it is easy to imagine there will be 128GB storage 'upgrade' sometime in the middle of its life cycle. Apple's fairly slow about updating its hardware.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Well, it is easy to imagine there will be 128GB storage 'upgrade' sometime in the middle of its life cycle. Apple's fairly slow about updating its hardware.

I think with this initial generation, there wil at least be a 128Gb update within the first year, as the iPod Touch will more than likely be updated this September to 128Gb. I don't see Apple and Jobs letting his "greatest creation ever" being behind a lowly handheld device in storage space.

MacBook.Matt

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
I came on here to make this exact topic! I really doubt I'll be able to hold out, but buying a Rev B just has so many advantages...Ive got my money bet on bigger hard drive, slightly longer battery, maybe some minor speed bumps, thinner, lighter, and the clincher -- built in camera. I mean seriously, a built in camera would not be difficult and would be a real people pleaser! But a whole year is a long time to wait :-/

On a different note -- for apple to put flash on the ipad (hulu, fox.com etc videos) would that be a software update, or a hardware update? Thanks!

One last thing! Whats the chance that students will save any money on the iPad? No Education pricing? Even $25 would be great!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
lol,
your asking a question on a product that is not even out yet. We have no idea, one year, two years, 6 months? Its anyone's guess because its a non-existent product (at least in terms being able to buy it now).

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Guaranteed one year cycle. That is they way Apple is headed for all its major products, with exception of the minor speed bumps in laptops & iMacs. They also like to spread out the the updates so they get hold of your money year round.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.