Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
“A snapshot is currently set to boot that is not the currently booted snapshot.
Reboot to boot to the new snapshot to allow install to this volume.”
is the error message when trying to update a Ventura 13.1 virtual machine to 13.2.
What I’ve tried so far, without success:
- reboot
- disable SIP
- delete snapshots for Macintosh HD with Disk Utility in Recovery, until I ended up with only two: one Startup and one System Snapshoot
- update Preboot (sudo diskutil apfs updatePreboot disk1s5)
- bless Macintosh HD (bless --folder “/Volumes/Macintosh HD/System/Library/CoreServices" --bootefi --create-snapshot)

snap.jpg

snapT.jpg

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
No, I didn't. From Recovery I was able to rename the bad update snapshot, delete it, but then it wouldn't boot at all. As it was a virtual machine, I just deleted it and made another one.
I haven't tried to use the full Ventura installer to perform the update. Might be worth considering.

Reactions: Zaroff

Zaroff

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2016
Thanks. I guess both procedures will entirely wipe the content actually on the drive, though?

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
I haven't tried an update with the full installer on Ventura, but on Big Sur all the data was preserved. Except Apple's Command Line Tools, if you have them installed.

Reactions: Zaroff

Zaroff

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2016
For those that meet the problem: going from the full installer doesn't solve the problem, it merely repeats the same damn message in a prettier popup.
Is there even a way to "reboot to the new snapshot" at all? Or am I screwed and have to reinstall the whole thing and Time Machine it?
Also, when you restore a Time Machine, does it bring back the APFS snapshots as well? Or is that independent?

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
I do not get that error, but my system permanantly presets Windows boot, albeit macOS Ventura is chosen from the preferences.
In diskutil list, i have an extra snapshot with a suspect extenstion .bless:

4: APFS Volume Ventura 9.4 GB disk2s4
5: APFS Snapshot com.apple.bless.8EEB... 9.4 GB disk2s4s1

could that be the cause?

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
My virtual machine had only macOS Ventura installed.

There seems to be another utility to make apfs snapshots bootable

Code:
/System/Library/Filesystems/apfs.fs/Contents/Resources/apfs_systemsnapshot -help
apfs_systemsnapshot: This utility is used to tag snapshots for boot and to declare new ones.
NOTE: ARV must be disabled before this tool can be used.
apfs_systemsnapshot usage: apfs_systemsnapshot [-r snapname] [-s snapname] -v <mount point>
-r: Tag specified snapshot as the one to root from on the next boot 
-s: Create snapshot with the specified name 
-v: Mount point on which to operate

Examples
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...9-fans-to-spin-in-sleep.2246387/post-28708419
https://grafxflow.co.uk/blog/mac-os-x/delete-ioplatformpluginfamilykext-macos-big-sur
https://andv.medium.com/making-wifi...d-macs-with-failed-with-66-error-36c98e3f7965

banzai227

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2024
Hello,
I know it is not a smart answer.
I use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the disk that has a snapshot issue.
Duplicate my EFI to this new drive.
Reboot after exchange the disk.
This solves my issue.
Hope it can help someone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.