Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goldstartup

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2018
Olympia WA
Greetings MacRumors! Long time lurker; first time poster. Currently operating a mid-2012 MBP A1278 with OWC 120GB SSD; running 10.13.3.

I've been having this problem since January when the 10.13.4 update became available. I downloaded the update as usual and restarted the machine to complete the installation. That initiated a restart loop - it was trying to boot from the installer. I was never able to remedy it, and every time I boot I have to hold option and select the startup drive. Oddly, when I access System Preferences, it indicates that the SSD is the startup drive.

I have since attempted installing subsequent updates in the hopes that the issue will clear up. Do you have any sense of what could be causing this? My sense is that it's the HDD cable. I replaced it 2 years after the initial purchase in 2015. SMART status in DiskUtility is verified but I haven't performed any additional diagnostic tests.

I considered making a bootable installer and restoring from a TM backup, but I can't find the install file at all (yet it is downloaded....).

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.