Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ash211

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2012
I've got about 8 movies that didn't successfully convert using Handbrake...anyone have any other suggestions? Also any suggestions for blue ray movies?

**Update** Nothing wrong with Handbrake there was just a Noob at the helm. After converting a bunch of movies I transferred them to my Windows desktop and added them to iTunes account. About half of the movies wouldn't play on my Apple TV so I thought Handbrake just didn't correctly convert them. Well, I discovered today that for some reason iTunes only "found" where half of the movie files were kept. When I showed iTunes where the files were everything works great.

Thanks for the help and suggestions Guys!!!

Last edited:

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I've got about 8 movies that didn't successfully convert using Handbrake...anyone have any other suggestions? Also any suggestions for blue ray movies?

What do you mean by "convert"? Rip BD discs (use MakeMKV)? Convert pre-ripped MKV's or other kinds of files not on any kind of a disc?

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
i am really impressed you managed to find something handbreak couldn't cope with, I have over 11TB now of bluray rips, dvd rips and TvShow captures and have yet to have handbreak fail ever

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
i have never liked handbrake at all

What do you like, then? I've very thoroughly benchmarked most consumer (and even a lot of pro-grade) video encoders and found HandBrake beating almost all of them, even a lot pro-grade ones.

Show me a faster encoder with at least the same quality and with moderated (say, under $100) price...

jrcrip

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2010
Converted file doesn´t work

For the past few weeks I have experienced a problem with converting new movies to MP4-files, from MKV. Handbrake converts the file but the final file is not playable. It does not show the regular icon of the file, instead it´s a white icon. Anyone got the same problem?

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
I've found a couple of MKVs and MP4s that Subler couldn't cope with so I had to reencode. For whatever reason they'd come out broken and I couldn't add them to iTunes, I ran them through Handbrake and they came out as good as new. I'm some what surprised that you managed to find a video that Handbrake could not handle.

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
What do you like, then? I've very thoroughly benchmarked most consumer (and even a lot of pro-grade) video encoders and found HandBrake beating almost all of them, even a lot pro-grade ones.

Show me a faster encoder with at least the same quality and with moderated (say, under $100) price...

i have tried lots of encoders in the past and the one i use is by far the best i won't use nothing else then the one that i use
http://www.******.com/ipad-converter-suite.html

Try the trail of this software and tell me what you think me personally i love it and it very fast and so sleek design and fast i haven't found anything better around to use and i have used it 100s of times and its definitely worth the money that i payed for it.

I have bought this software for a second machine because it was so good and i wanted to converter faster because i buy a lot DVDs on amazon so i just like to get them done quicker then waiting around for them.But don't me wrong the software does convert quite quick as long as you have the settings right if you need help with the settings just ask me then i help you out

Please let me know what you think of the software i would be grateful for your feedback of the software i have actually deleted all the old ones that i use to have and just use this one and nothing else.
Send me a personal message if you wish i don't mind or here on the forum

I hope you like the software and use it yourself.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I've found a couple of MKVs and MP4s that Subler couldn't cope with so I had to reencode.

In these cases, give a try to the latest beta of MP4Tools (NOT the official non-beta; the latter sucks hard). I've too faced some MKV's that Subler couldn't remux but (again, the beta) MP4Tools could. Absolutely no need for converting. Assuming the MKV did have H.264 video in it, of course.

----------

i have tried lots of encoders in the past and the one i use is by far the best i won't use nothing else then the one that i use
http://www.******.com/ipad-converter-suite.html

Is it the Emicsoft / ****** / ********* / Aneesoft suite? (MR's engine has starred out the name of the dev so I listed every possibility I could find). I may have benchmarked it too - please name the dev so that I can look up my benchmark results / review for you.

EDIT: Based on MR's auto-starring the names I've entered, I think it was Ti-pa-rd (without the -'s) one, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.