Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cado dalle nuvole

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2021
How do I update my Macbookpro 7.1? I have Snow Leopard. 8 months ago, I tried to install OS 10.13 with no success. I tried on 10.11. Total disappointment. I thought I had to throw this mac away. I install Snow Leopard and it works again. Unfortunately it's an old OS and now more than ever, I need to upgrade.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
My understanding (happy to be proved wrong) is that you must:
1. Update to Snow Leopard 10.6.8.
2. Upgrade to Yosemite 10.10 or El Capitan 10.11.
3. Then can upgrade further, up to High Sierra 10.13.6.

10.13.6 is the maximum for MBP 7.1 13" Mid 2010

@Fishrrman has given you the page with the install links you need.

NesteaZen

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2012
I want to refresh a friend's computer. I thought I could just download an image and be done with it.
What does this mean: "To get the correct installer, download from a Mac that is using macOS Sierra 10.12.5 or later, or El Capitan 10.11.6." from @Fishrrman 's link.

I think he is on el capitan. Can i just download 10.15 catalina and run:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Catalina.app
that help page says to include --applicationpath on sierra and before. would that command be correct and would it work?

or: what's the best way for him to upgrade. the app store option of upgrading is grayed out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.