Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heshamsaeed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2008
Hi everybody >>
I had a MBP mid 2012 running Mojave 10.14.6.
My pain started when I upgraded to Catalina, where everything was going good except WIFI. After several trials to fix, I decided to go back to Mojave. I backed up with time machine, then formatted my computer and installed 10.14.2 (from a USB). Finally, I restored my files from Time machine (using migration assisstant)

Now It's working , but ....

1. The system apps in the Dock are replaced with a big question mark and not working (see the image below). Safari tells me that this version requires Catalina (Obviously, I backed up my system after installing catalina and doing some updates). But now it seems that I need to revert to the older versions of these APPS
Dock ?.png

2. I tried to update to 10.14.6, and after downloading 2.6 GB, I got a message that some update can't be installed

MY QUESTIONS ARE:
How can I get these system apps working again?
What's wrong with Mojave update?

Thanks in advance

conmee

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2019
Reno, NV
Either format and reinstall Mojave and don't restore your Apps from Time Machine, just your data and settings (unfortunate side effect is you'll have to reinstall all your apps, but all the Apple Mojave apps will work).

Or reinstall Catalina and then restore Time Machine backup to get all of your and Apple's apps working again (and try to get WiFi working one more time - here's a list of standard things to look at https://appletoolbox.com/solved-macbook-connects-to-wi-fi-but-has-no-internet-connection/). I recall on my 2015 MacBook Pro prior to 10.15.6 having lots of random drops, slowdowns, wifi connect issues, but wifi seem to be stable after 10.15.6/7.

Reactions: heshamsaeed

heshamsaeed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2008
Either format and reinstall Mojave and don't restore your Apps from Time Machine, just your data and settings (unfortunate side effect is you'll have to reinstall all your apps, but all the Apple Mojave apps will work).

Or reinstall Catalina and then restore Time Machine backup to get all of your and Apple's apps working again (and try to get WiFi working one more time - here's a list of standard things to look at https://appletoolbox.com/solved-macbook-connects-to-wi-fi-but-has-no-internet-connection/). I recall on my 2015 MacBook Pro prior to 10.15.6 having lots of random drops, slowdowns, wifi connect issues, but wifi seem to be stable after 10.15.6/7.
Thanks conmee
Unfortunately, I did most of those suggestions in your link (the ones checked, didn't work). The option of DHCP renewal is not available (dimmed).

I am just afraid that I upgrade to Catalina once more, then go through this hassle again. (I am worried that I would have to reinstall again, to have the system apps)o_O
1653838897623.png

BTW, I was using Catalina 10.15.7, when I had that WIFI issues. WIFI used to work fine after reboot, and until going to sleep. Then I'll have to reboot again in order to get wifi working again.

Last edited:

conmee

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2019
Reno, NV
Well that sucks. It sounds like as long as you haven’t lost any data, I’d make an additional non-Time Machine backup of all your data in your home folder, then format and reinstall Mojave from scratch, manually re-install all your apps, then manually copy all data back to your home folder. Not sure how else to get to your pre-Catalina state. Or maybe someone else answers with better options.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
To address the "? in the dock"...

This is EASY to fix.
Nothing to get upset about.

First thing to do is to GET RID of those question marks.
- CONTROL-click on each one, and observe the contextual menu that appears.
- Choose "options/remove from dock"
- The question mark should disappear
- Repeat for EACH and EVERY question mark.

But... now your dock is empty.
We need to fix it.

OK...
- Open your Applications folder in the finder
- Locate an app you want in the dock (but is now missing)
- Just "grab it" with the mouse, and "drop it into" the dock.
- Do this with each app you want in the dock
- When all are there, move them around into the order you like best.

Try this.
Does it work?

heshamsaeed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2008
To address the "? in the dock"...

This is EASY to fix.
Nothing to get upset about.

First thing to do is to GET RID of those question marks.
- CONTROL-click on each one, and observe the contextual menu that appears.
- Choose "options/remove from dock"
- The question mark should disappear
- Repeat for EACH and EVERY question mark.

But... now your dock is empty.
We need to fix it.

OK...
- Open your Applications folder in the finder
- Locate an app you want in the dock (but is now missing)
- Just "grab it" with the mouse, and "drop it into" the dock.
- Do this with each app you want in the dock
- When all are there, move them around into the order you like best.

Try this.
Does it work?
I'll tell you after I try. Thanks for this -too simple to think about- idea. But I'd guess that the app will not be working (hence it didn't show on the dock). Any way, I'll come back to you

heshamsaeed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2008
I'll tell you after I try. Thanks for this -too simple to think about- idea. But I'd guess that the app will not be working (hence it didn't show on the dock). Any way, I'll come back to you
Well .. It worked for most apps, BUT ... hmmm
1. Safari is still not working , requiring Catalina
2. It didn't work with "Photos" app .. giving me the following error message:
1654032876563.png

I tried with: Open Other ..., and I got the following message:
1654032954735.png
Choosing library sent me back to the same error. I chose Create New, and it's working now.

Thanks a lot Fishrrman

heshamsaeed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2008
Well, it seems that I'm fine now.
I downloaded Mojave 10.14.6 (not the update), followed by security update and Safari .. its working now.

Thanks all for your time

Reactions: conmee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.