Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Update: Apparently, the issue is with the OneDrive app having incompatibility issues with some HEVC videos capture by my Samsung Galaxy camera. It's weird since some videos are fine, some got played as if they are corrupted. And apparently Quicktime on Catalina also have issues with the those "corrupted" videos. VLC and Google Photos seem to play the videos just fine. Phew!! I thought I lost those videos.

I would still recommend turning off Gallery sync and use the traditional Camera upload method, so at least you have a backup instead of direct syncing.

Old: Had some of my important videos got corrupted when they are synced to OneDrive from my Samsung Galaxy phone. The videos become green rectangle. And it's permanent as the files themselves are corrupted. I tried downloading the files on my computer, and they are corrupted. Worse since they are synced, when you delete the corrupted video on OneDrive, it will automatically delete the only good copy in your phone's gallery without any ways to recover it (it won't appear in the Gallery's trash).

So those who have Samsung Galaxy phones, I would unlink and disable the Gallery sync. Use the old style Camera upload backup instead.

Last edited:

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Good to know. But whatever videos I make on my Galaxy phone… I transfer them over to iCloud or whatever cloud storage I would like to use (Google Drive or Dropbox). Don’t really store videos on OneDrive.. normally I store documents there.

But disappointed that your important videos got corrupted... Wouldn‘t wish that on anyone.

Reactions: ian87w

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Good to know. But whatever videos I make on my Galaxy phone… I transfer them over to iCloud or whatever cloud storage I would like to use (Google Drive or Dropbox). Don’t really store videos on OneDrive.. normally I store documents there.

But disappointed that your important videos got corrupted... Wouldn‘t wish that on anyone.
Yeah, I am tempted to actually buy Google One storage despite having 1TB Onedrive from my Office 365 subscription. Cloud storage is useless if it's corrupting the files. Right now I am in the process of trial-and-error of uploading various videos to OneDrive to see if a specific video codec/format triggers the corruption.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.