Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sterlingholobyt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2013
Hello,

Is there a way to capture video playing on your screen using the "New Screen Recording" option in Quicktime AND have the sound from the video recorded but not any outside noise?
I have tried a couple times, first not having any microphone selected(which then of course didn't record any sound from the video or otherwise), then selecting the internal microphone, which did record the sound from the video but also recorded outside noise from the little noisemaker who is my son.
Or am I supposed to leave the volume down on the Quicktime controls? I wasn't sure, so I moved it up a little, which did make the sound a little "tinny".

***Update***:
Since there doesn't seem to be any answer to this problem, here's what I did in case someone with the same question stumbles upon this thread.
I was going to purchase a screen recorder, but since all the ones I looked at were too expensive for what I was attempting to do and those and the ones that weren't too expensive all required the use of Soundflower anyway, I just downloaded Soundflower.
The thing about using Soundflower is that you have to go into your preferences and change the mic settings any time you either want to do your screen record(which I did with Quicktime) or want to actually hear the sound that is coming out of your computer, but you can't do both at the same time, which is a pain. Well, I hear that you can, but that requires yet another download and another step.
Once I figured out that Quicktime was actually recording the sound along with the video(which took several times of going back and forth after recording the video), it worked fine.
Though you'd think that the people at Apple could come up with a way to let you make a recording of something playing on your screen AND record the sound at the same time, instead of making users jump through hoops just to do what should be a simple exercise.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.