Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
I have ripped and encoded almost 100 dvd's so far using the Rip iT + Handbrake combo and it's going great, but I'm running into a problem.

About 1 out of every 10 dvd's will make the superdrive roar and make a loud vibrating sound although I put my hand on the Mini and there is no vibration. Also it bogs down the system with a lot of beachballing, Activity Monitor takes about 5 minutes to open. Most dvd's will take between 20-30 minutes to rip, but on these ocassional "bad" ones they take over an hour. When Rip It is running with the "good" discs the system react like normal.:confused:

Anybody ever heard of any of this with Rip It? In the next couple of days I might download Mac the Ripper and see what it does with these "bad" discs.

SEE BELOW FOR UPDATE

Last edited:

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
About 1 in 10 will have a better copy protection scheme; these take longer to copy and do put more stress on the system. Some software is better then others at finding and getting around these issues. I use several packages. For mass ripping I've used DVD8 on the PC, works for most disks. Then I use MacTheRipper on the Mac for harder disks. If that doesn't work I go on to Fairmount (that typically works) and then, on to RipIt. I have yet to find a disk that makes it to the last ditch effort, Handbrake itself.

Good luck and Happy Ripping. I'm excited, tonight I should finish my Movies (about 325) and can start on the TV shows.

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
About 1 in 10 will have a better copy protection scheme; these take longer to copy and do put more stress on the system. Some software is better then others at finding and getting around these issues. I use several packages. For mass ripping I've used DVD8 on the PC, works for most disks. Then I use MacTheRipper on the Mac for harder disks. If that doesn't work I go on to Fairmount (that typically works) and then, on to RipIt. I have yet to find a disk that makes it to the last ditch effort, Handbrake itself.

Good luck and Happy Ripping. I'm excited, tonight I should finish my Movies (about 325) and can start on the TV shows.

Ok, that makes sense. I will download Mac the Ripper and Fairmount for more options. Thanks for the replies!

The only thing that still doesn't make sense is why the superdrive would make so much more noise during these "hard" dvd's than the others. The "good" discs are extremely quiet as in I can barely hear them.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Ok, that makes sense. I will download Mac the Ripper and Fairmount for more options. Thanks for the replies!

The only thing that still doesn't make sense is why the superdrive would make so much more noise during these "hard" dvd's than the others. The "good" discs are extremely quiet as in I can barely hear them.

These discs typically have intentional bad sectors; this is done to make the files show up with different lengths and sizes or to make them unreadable. Thus the drive is seeing these sectors and is trying to correct them (another form of copy protection -- bad sectors should come back bad, not corrected). Thus the drive struggles to perform these operations.

The one disk I've been having problems with is Twilight; damn thing came with a digital copy (which I didn't download) that expired. But now when I need it, I can't rip it and I can't get my download. :(

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Thanks CylonGlitch for your help. At least it's only 1 out of every 10 and not the other way 'round.

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Well I took the Mini to the genius bar to see what they would say about the noisy SuperDrive. I was thinking with my luck he would put a disc in and would be one that was super quiet, I eve brought along Cars which I tested to be a noisy disc.

Well he hooked it up a reached in a drawer and pulled an audio disc and inserted it into the Mini. I just knew it was going to be quiet. He opened iTunes and hit "Import Disc" and what do you know, she roared up and the Genius said yep we'll take care of that.

So now I'll be without it for about a week since they didn't have a SuperDrive in stock, but it's all good if it comes back with a super quiet SuperDrive!!

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Well I took the Mini to the genius bar to see what they would say about the noisy SuperDrive. I was thinking with my luck he would put a disc in and would be one that was super quiet, I eve brought along Cars which I tested to be a noisy disc.

Well he hooked it up a reached in a drawer and pulled an audio disc and inserted it into the Mini. I just knew it was going to be quiet. He opened iTunes and hit "Import Disc" and what do you know, she roared up and the Genius said yep we'll take care of that.

So now I'll be without it for about a week since they didn't have a SuperDrive in stock, but it's all good if it comes back with a super quiet SuperDrive!!

To avoid issues with my superdrive I am thinking about getting a cheap external drive to rip my movies. A guy at Microcenter said to buy one and get the extended warranty so when I burn out a external drive I can get it exchange for nothing. Just 1 problem, I would feel like I am abusing the system.

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
To avoid issues with my superdrive I am thinking about getting a cheap external drive to rip my movies. A guy at Microcenter said to buy one and get the extended warranty so when I burn out a external drive I can get it exchange for nothing. Just 1 problem, I would feel like I am abusing the system.

Well mine was noisy from day 1. Searched for answers to whether or not this was normal, and since it is so hard to explain the noise it makes most people said it was bad or cheap discs causing the noise.

But what led me to take mine in was that it also makes a loud noise at startup, so the last time I was in Best Buy I restarted their display Mini and listened for the noise. It had none was very quiet so I decided to let a genius listen to see what they said. Now it is getting replaced.

If I were to start from the beginning ripping my DVD collection, I would buy an external DVD drive to do all the hard work and when done use the Superdrive as normal.

harpster

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
About 1 out of every 10 dvd's will make the superdrive roar and make a loud vibrating sound ...

I just tried Rip It and same thing happened... very loud. Crashed once on me too. I also have a PC and use the Slysoft AnyDVD/Clone DVD combination and it's pretty much flawless and no loud noises from the drive. Rip It looks good for a Mac only solution and it's pretty inexpensive but I think I'll stick with Slysoft on the PC for my DVD ripping.

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Fixed!!!!!

Got the call to come and pick up the Mini with the new Superdrive. Now at home and ripping Cars with Rip It and........

Whisper quiet!!!!!!:D:D:apple::apple: I couldn't even hear the drive spin up when Rip It started!! So happy I took it in and got it replaced. If your Mini Superdrive roars while ripping, it is NOT NORMAL. Genius said it should be very quiet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.