Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

london_apple

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2020
Update:
I just want to come back to this thread and say... this computer is EVERYTHING. Thank you all, seriously... and if that iPad "event" is any indicator to how things are going this year, I don't think I'll be missing out on an M2 MBP at all lol.

And... the fact that I can continue to use my iPad Pro as an extension of the computer + Universal Control is blowing my mind. I was a little afraid the iPad would start to collect dust now that there's a new kid in the room, but it's still very handy.

Extremely pleased... now time to invoice these people to hell. :)

Peace, everyone!

Hey everyone. I just purchased an M1 MacBook Pro 14” (upgraded to 1T SSD) that should be arriving today — I know that newer models are coming out in the next few weeks, but i really need to be able to rely on a personal computer asap (versus my current setup of an iPad Pro and company-issued computer that I can’t really use for well… anything personal).

I think I just need a sound board here:

I work in digital marketing and freelance on various projects outside of my company, so I feel like this computer is overkill as it is for me, but just want to make sure we’re all on the same page that this new M2 version isn’t going to completely re-invent the wheel. Especially someone who really just uses the web, multiple emails, and Adobe InDesign and Photoshop here and there.

I don’t want to have an issue of buyers remorse later on, and I guess I could always return this one once the announcement is made if I’m feeling that passionate about it, but figure this is a case of just wanting to have the latest and greatest for little reason lol. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2605.jpeg
    IMG_2605.jpeg
    505.1 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Hey everyone. I just purchased an M1 MacBook Pro 14” (upgraded to 1T SSD) that should be arriving today — I know that newer models are coming out in the next few weeks, but i really need to be able to rely on a personal computer asap (versus my current setup of an iPad Pro and company-issued computer that I can’t really use for well… anything personal).

I work in digital marketing and freelance on various projects outside of my company, so I feel like this computer is overkill as it is for me, but just want to make sure we’re all on the same page that this new M2 version isn’t going to completely re-invent the wheel. Especially someone who really just uses the web, multiple emails, and Adobe InDesign and Photoshop here and there.

I don’t want to have an issue of buyers remorse later on, and I guess I could always return this one once the announcement is made if I’m feeling that passionate about it, but figure this is a case of just wanting to have the latest and greatest for little reason lol. Thanks!

Personally, I buy what I need, when I need it. Buyer's remorse can be a real thing, but you can't get caught up in waiting for the next, greatest thing. At some point you have to just jump into the game, if you're going to get in it. The M1 is a good computer, with a huge upside. There will always be a better machine eventually, regardless of what or when you buy.

If you need something, buy it. If you don't, wait to see what happens. I do Photoshop and Final Cut Pro on an M1 MacBook Air. It performs quite well, and I have no regrets that there are newer, better options out there now... when my current machine no longer meets my needs, then it will be time to upgrade... but buying the newest just because it's the newest serves no purpose, IMO.

london_apple

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2020
Personally, I buy what I need, when I need it. Buyer's remorse can be a real thing, but you can't get caught up in waiting for the next, greatest thing. At some point you have to just jump into the game, if you're going to get in it. The M1 is a good computer, with a huge upside. There will always be a better machine eventually, regardless of what or when you buy.

If you need something, buy it. If you don't, wait to see what happens. I do Photoshop and Final Cut Pro on an M1 MacBook Air. It performs quite well, and I have no regrets that there are newer, better options out there now... when my current machine no longer meets my needs, then it will be time to upgrade... but buying the newest just because it's the newest serves no purpose, IMO.
Very, very honest and true. Thank you! I know that M1 is more than enough for me but keeping up with everything on here all the times makes it tricky lol. I definitely need my own computer at this point, and I’ve dragged my feet on that aspect of my life long enough, so this will be good. Appreciate you!

Reactions: jchap

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Very, very honest and true. Thank you! I know that M1 is more than enough for me but keeping up with everything on here all the times makes it tricky lol. I definitely need my own computer at this point, and I’ve dragged my feet on that aspect of my life long enough, so this will be good. Appreciate you!

Tech forums are the worst place to hang out if you just want to get something that works for you. Hanging out here and on Twitter has cost me so much money - money that I consider foolishly wasted, to be honest... :D

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK

I have just done the same as you, bought a 16" M1 MacBook Pro in full knowledge that the M2 version will be coming very soon. I know that the M1 is more than enough processor for me and the M2 is not going to be in a new body design like the M2 MBA was. I need the big screen and more ports (relative my M1 MBA) now.

However one big consideration is price. With the M2 MBP so close you should be able to get the M1 MBP at a good price. I got my M1 MBP for £750 less than current Apple Store price of £2599, by buying second hand from CEX. It is six months old, unmarked, boxed with two years warranty. If you don't want second hand there should be discounted new ones around, or Apple Refurbished.

I personally would not feel happy about paying full whack for an M1 MBP this close to the M2 release. Perhaps you have got a good price.

Reactions: london_apple

Droid13

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
United Kingdom
i really need to be able to rely on a personal computer asap

If you need the machine now, you need the machine now.

make sure we’re all on the same page that this new M2 version isn’t going to completely re-invent the wheel

In terms of M2 vs M1, have a look at the MacBook Air scenario - for most people who have the M1, the M2 isn't really worth the cost and hassle of upgrading, but if you are coming from something older and Intel-based it makes perfect sense to get the latest chip.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
In terms of M2 vs M1, have a look at the MacBook Air scenario - for most people who have the M1, the M2 isn't really worth the cost and hassle of upgrading, but if you are coming from something older and Intel-based it makes perfect sense to get the latest chip.

Agree but the M2 MBA also introduced a whole new body design over the M1 MBA, which won't be the case with M2 MBP.. Even with that added factor the M2 MBA isn't an automatic choice because the M1 MBA is quite a bit cheaper. The actual processor change between the M2 and M1 MBA is not spectacular and probably won't be for the M2 MBP.

Toutou

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2015
Prague, Czech Republic
I feel like this computer is overkill

Especially someone who really just uses the web, multiple emails, and Adobe InDesign and Photoshop here and there.
Yes, the computer is overkill, but it's the solid, comfortable, dependable kind of overkill, not the money burning kind.
this new M2 version isn’t going to completely re-invent the wheel
No, it probably isn't. The new MBP design is still fresh and going from Intel chips to Apple Silicon was the big performance jump. The plain M2 is a bit faster than M1, but it certainly didn't reinvent the wheel.

staypuftforums

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2021
In my opinion, you will have buyer’s remorse buying only a few weeks before a refresh. Especially if the M2 is the same price.

Reactions: macsound1

CyberDavis

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2022
There will always be something new, so sometimes we just need to go for it.
And if the current hardware fits it should be ok.

Of course there will be cases where we wait for new products.
For example my 2014 27" iMac needed updating and I decided to wait until the Mac Studio was launched as I wanted the power of the M1 processor rather than invest in the older Intel iMac hardware.

So if you are happy the current hardware will do the job then go for it.
But if you are happy to wait and see what comes then that is equally good.
:)👍

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
I don't think the M2 version is going to be a massive leap forward, but I also think (as a general rule of thumb) that it's silly to buy multi-thousand $ pieces of tech just weeks before they're going to be upgraded or replaced.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
In my opinion, you will have buyer’s remorse buying only a few weeks before a refresh. Especially if the M2 is the same price.
It will probably will be the same price as the full Apple price of the current M1 MBP, which should be available with worthwhile reductions.
I personally would definitely have buyer's remorse if I paid full price for a current M1 MBP shortly before the M2 version, but lots of people wouldn't care.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I know that newer models are coming out in the next few weeks
Nothing has been said, people were all in expecting an apple event, and unless Apple announces something in the next few weeks, we'll probably not see an event. I'm not saying the MBP spec-update isn't happening with the M2 but with barely 2 weeks left in the month, the odds are looking longer every day we don't hear anything from apple.

but i really need to be able to rely on a personal computer asap
The old adage fits, if you need a computer now buy it. If you don't, then hold off. Sounds like you have an immediate need and regardless of what Apple may or may not due, you seem to have a need so just buy it and enjoy.

darkanddivine

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2007
Yup. I feel you on this one. I have a similar situation in that I'd like to get hold of an iMac or Mini, but in a 100% ideal world, I would prefer these machines to have the M2 upgrade, which feels like it's taking its sweet time to arrive. My Macbook Air is close to the end of its useful life, but I will extract as much as I can from it as the purchase (like you) is for personal use, and so I don't "need" a new machine, but it's about that time. If I had to get something, although I'd like M2, I would be happy with M1 - and to some extent I am tempted to move anyway on the price/value ratio due to the economic point from @boak

I'm of the view that it's best wait as long as is possible, do as much research as is possible to make the right call, then get the best value for the money at the time. I've bought 3 macs, and I don't think I've ever optimised the "perfect" buy. But after I've bought, I check out of the online discussion for some time. The only outcome of checking in on a purchase right after you've made it is disappointment. Personally, I would prefer not to get a laptop this time, but if I'm honest, the 14" base Pro is the absolute sweet spot in the Apple range today. For under 2k, you're getting an amazing screen, a mega fast processor for most uses, and all the ports and the rest of it. YMMV, but it feels like that choice is hard to argue with, especially given that M2 Pro will cost more, and that some standard M2 machines can cost as much if not more than the one you've gone for.

Last edited:

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
Few thoughts:
I get your anxiety. Buyer's remorse sucks. And having the latest and greatest is fun.

The MBP M1P is a powerful machine. I have the base model and love it. Zero chance I would upgrade to M2 Pro. Current machine works perfectly for me in that regard - if I wanted to swap out it would likely be for M2 MBA (different story)

I don't believe the M2 Pro update for the MBP 14 is going to be very compelling. For sure it will be better but feels likely to be incremental. Same chassis, ports, etc. My guess - speed boost and *maybe* better battery life plus not much else

Finally - I'm also beginning to wonder if it's coming in a couple of weeks. I am suspicious we won't see shipments until next year. But I could be wrong!

JW5566

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2021
I would put my money into more SSD storage and RAM before putting it into an M2, and I would buy when I need it, not hang on for a future product. If anything, with rising prices, waiting risks being priced out of it! So I think the M1, with upgrades, is a prudent purchase.

The only time I have thought otherwise is the jump from Intel to M1, which was quite a big leap.

Reactions: arkitect

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I would put my money into more SSD storage and RAM before putting it into an M2
Sage advise, given how everything is soldered onto the logic board, most people will certainly benefit with more storage and ram, especially in the long run. Depending on what benchmark you look at, the M2 is about 10% faster then the M1, imo. more ram and storage is a better use of your money

Reactions: arkitect

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
I would put my money into more SSD storage and RAM before putting it into an M2
This is exactly what I said in another thread.

In my current setup, yes I do feel like the M1 is limiting me (I have intense workflows most of the time), but before CPU/GPU, I've had a major problem with storage capacity (256GB) and then with RAM capacity (8GB). I am no average user though.

However, new MacBook Pros are probably 1-2 weeks away from now. I think it's worth either waiting a few days or buying whatever you want from the refurb store to eliminate some of that buyer's remorse.

darkanddivine

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2007
Finally - I'm also beginning to wonder if it's coming in a couple of weeks. I am suspicious we won't see shipments until next year. But I could be wrong!
Yeah I mean, I have no idea how many of the rumours/stories have been true historically but....

MBP 14/16 had a complete redesign plus the new chip 12 months ago.
MBA had a complete redesign plus the spec bump update in Summer 22, approx 18 months after the M1.
MBP 13 had no redesign plus the chip update around the same time, approx 18 months after M1.

I understand that Apple focuses on laptops and smart devices due to the sales being higher. Folks were saying that the M2 Mini was absolutely happening in summer, but then it didn't. The other M1s like the Air & 13" Pro had a gap of 5-600 days between releases, and both the Mini & iMac are now in that window, yet there are conflicting reports about whether or not they'll be making these upgrades. I had also heard the M chips were on an 18 month release cadence, which makes sense in terms of having a gap between big product upgrades and minor spec bumps. Based on all that, the Pro being upgraded this month would be a big move (just from a technical and product sourcing perspective), but of course you can never rule anything out.

Last edited:

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Nobody knows for sure what is going to happen or when - but it's unlikely to be a major re-design or astounding new capabilities, just incrementally faster CPU and graphics.

I think it just comes down to your priorities - if you put a value on having the latest and greatest then it's a bad time to buy when the current model is a year old and will most likely be updated in the next six months or so, even if we don't see anything this year.

If, however, you just need a new computer to do your job - buy what is available when you need it. It's not going to turn into a pumpkin the moment the next model comes out - and this time next year (if we're not sitting in the rubble cooking cockroach smores over an upturned Mac pro case full of burning dollar bills) we'll all be discussing what the M3 MacBook Pro is going to be.

I think the only thing you should be agonising over is whether you're happy to pay the premium over a M2 Air or 13" MBP which would probably still get your job done.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia

Keyword is "asap," so what matters is what you can get today, not some weeks later.

If you did have the budget, the 14" Macbook Pro is an awesome machine. If you think it's overkill, then you can return it later and get the M2 Macbook Air instead. You might save a bit of money and have a much more portable laptop. But both are great machines.

Just be glad that you live in a country with return policy. 😂

nkgmd

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2004
Months ago I got a 14” MBP configured with the M1 Max chip so it was equivalent to a base model Mac Studio. I thought this was going to be all I’d need for years. I found the MBP to be not much faster for my purposes than my old MB Air, but it was quite a lot thicker and heavier. Also the screen appeared too dark for me no matter how I adjusted it. Then they announced the M2 MBA. So I returned the Pro and ordered the Air. It’s now my favorite computer that I’ve ever had. Light, thin, fast, clear, silent, stable, gorgeous in Midnight, does everything well. I only miss the SD card slot on the Pro, I liked using the Transcend card that sits flush in there as a Time Machine. But it wasn’t worth all the trade offs and the extra $1000.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.