Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rsnhakan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2014
The Netherlands
Hi there,

How do you update your devices? I read there is a difference between updating through OTA and iTunes. I always update through iTunes but this costs me a lot of time.

I read people had problems with their devices after updating through OTA, even hardware issues.

What do you advice?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hi there,

How do you update your devices? I read there is a difference between updating through OTA and iTunes. I always update through iTunes but this costs me a lot of time.

I read people had problems with their devices after updating through OTA, even hardware issues.

What do you advice?
I always update OTA and have never had a problem of any sort. You can be certain that the vast majority of iOS users never update through iTunes.

Reactions: Mr$tone and jhall8

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
Always OTA as well and everything works fine.

I only use iTunes for backups and restore if needed.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hi there,

What do you advice?
Either way is perfectly fine. There have been people with different issues using either method, so that's generally not a factor in it.

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
OTA is preferred but I use ITunes because I had bad experiences with it before such as problem installing, getting stuck on loading and boot loop. Now, I rather use iTunes if I can and experience ess issue. I’m only forced to use OTA on Watch and 4K TV

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I use OTA for X.x.x releases. I use iTunes full installer for X.x releases. I’ve done the whole major release via OTA but it has already lead to issue for me. I haven’t had a single issue since switching to my method.

Reactions: gobikerider

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
I only have cellular service, so I tether to Mac and use iTunes.

When there’s also a watchOS update, both devices need to be on WiFi, so the Mac shares the usb iPhone hotspot via Ethernet to my Time Capsule which sends the data via WiFi back to the iPhone.

rsnhakan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2014
The Netherlands
Thanks all for your reply. Your experience is not bad at all as I can read. In the past I read that some hardware components get defect after updating through OTA.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Thanks all for your reply. Your experience is not bad at all as I can read. In the past I read that some hardware components get defect after updating through OTA.
Can't really say I've come across something like that.

Minorite

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2018
Poland
I also use OTA updates for patches and iTunes for minor/major releases, just don't want big packages on my phone as there is always lack of space. No issues so far.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Almost exclusively OTA updates.

I primarily use iTunes for doing a full backup when I’m going to upgrade my phone, etc, but that’s about it.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
OTA or full update using iTunes depends on how big is the update size and what new features are included.
Usually, OTA update size to x.0 version is as big as the full update, so prefer to do the full update. Whereas, x.x.x OTA updates are 100-200 MB compared to 2GB+ full update so the OTA update is quicker.
Of course, that depends on internet speed, if you have unlimited high speed connection and willing to wait a little longer then it's not an issue.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I can't even remember the last time I did an iTunes IPSW restore ... never had a problem with OTA (I usually do all the betas as well) so I never really saw the point in doing it the hard way.

Reactions: jhall8

rsnhakan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2014
The Netherlands
And another question:

When a new update is out and you connect your iPhone to a computer, sometimes it automatically downloads the update through OTA. But if you update through iTunes, what happens with the OTA file that has been downloaded?

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
And another question:

When a new update is out and you connect your iPhone to a computer, sometimes it automatically downloads the update through OTA. But if you update through iTunes, what happens with the OTA file that has been downloaded?

If you use iTunes to update, it download the full IPSW firmware which is stored on your computer.

Mac - ~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates
PC - C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates

rsnhakan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2014
The Netherlands
If you use iTunes to update, it download the full IPSW firmware which is stored on your computer.

Mac - ~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates
PC - C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates

Hi, I know. But what if the OTA update already has been downloaded to the device (but not installed)? And you choose to update through iTunes. What happens with the OTA file? Does the iPhone delete this one or does it stay stored?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Everything has always worked fine for me using OTA however typically I will update via iTunes to download the entire OS. Takes more time and is probably just a waste of time.

The OTA data is removed the best I can tell or overwritten wherever its stored with the updated version of iOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.