Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teenflon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
I have CarPlay on my VW golf and contacted VW about an issue with an app to control my infotainment system. I was speaking to someone from VW who was responsible for Car-Net (VW's name for the system that runs CarPlay, Android Auto and Mirror Link) who mentioned that VW are in discussions with Apple around an upcoming upgrade to CarPlay.

I've not heard anything about this, or anything about a new iOS operating system? Does anyone know anything about this update to CarPlay? I don't see why VW and Apple would need to be discussing an upgrade unless it's quite significant.

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
I don't think anyone has even implemented any of the new CarPlay features added with iOS 9... So they could just be talking to Apple regarding licensing on an updated system that supports wireless CarPlay and system apps... Your current setup will not be upgradable via software... The new features require updated hardware... They are probably just in talks with Apple about implementing that stuff in new cars.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.