Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fezzzer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
I know I'm a few hours premature with this question however I've forgotten the best way to update from ios 7 to ios 8 beta - once the .dmg file is downloaded is it best to 'restore' the phone with the new software then reload my backup onto the phone, or is it best to 'update' the phone with the new software?

Many thanks

jakesaunders27

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2012
United Kingdom
I know I'm a few hours premature with this question however I've forgotten the best way to update from ios 7 to ios 8 beta - once the .dmg file is downloaded is it best to 'restore' the phone with the new software then reload my backup onto the phone, or is it best to 'update' the phone with the new software?

Many thanks

You need to be a developer, or pay a developer to register your UDID, I would just wait it'll only be a couple of months away. Unless your a developer that it then go for it! But yes what you listed is correct, just hold shift browse for the ipsw and load it on. I would update it to iOS 8.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England

Many thanks

If you only have one device, I wouldn't.

Well, it's your choice of course, it's just, being the first beta and all... it will be full of bugs.

Yakibomb

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2014
Cape Town

Many thanks

Definitely wouldn't do this on my primary device, especially with the 1st beta. But if you're determined what you've said is correct

SanjeevRana

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011

Many thanks

If you are not registered as Dev, your best bet tp try and use the Beta is going to 'Update' way ... seeing the last few iOS 7 Betas ... your success probability is 0.001% :)

fezzzer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
Thanks guys, i'm registered and paid up as a dev.

I put iOS 7 beta on my primary device last year, and the year before with no big consequences. I did create a backup last year of my phone on iOS6 before updating to the beta, so I could roll back if there were any significant problems.

fezzzer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
I'm well prepared for battery drain - I have chargers in my office, at home and in my car. Having had battery drain issues even on GM versions of iO6 (6 springs to mind) I learned the hard way.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I'm going to DFU restore to iOS 8 Beta 1 and restore as NEW for every beta following beta 1. Lots of reinstalling is going to happen for me in the next few months :)

outphase

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
Turgid? There was one release that murdered a double digit percent of phones' batteries. Just because you were fine doesn't mean it's a guarantee.

I also think it was v7.0b2. I believe it had to do with backgrounding not working properly so some system apps were on full power all the time.

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
not sure why people say not to load it on your primary device. Sure, I wouldn't put it on my 5s and throw my computer away, but it's not like using it for a day or two would make the phone explode. I used every beta last year on my 5, and despite some instability and battery life woes it was fine.

R4z3r

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2009
NJ
not sure why people say not to load it on your primary device. Sure, I wouldn't put it on my 5s and throw my computer away, but it's not like using it for a day or two would make the phone explode. I used every beta last year on my 5, and despite some instability and battery life woes it was fine.

Biggest issue was the instability / battery issues in beta 1 and 2. After that, for the most part, things worked as they were supposed to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.