Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
I stay on ios 6.1.3
1711411370483.png
It’s beautiful.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
They really should be required to list all of the affected versions. iOS16 OK? iOS15 not?

It’s a vulnerability in the AV1 decoder they use, and macOS/iOS/iPadOS support for AV1 was only added several months ago I believe. So it shouldn’t be present in older versions of OSes.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
I see why they don't want to list the bugs fixed before the flaw is patched, but at the same time I want to know what the hell is it fixing before updating.
Pushing the notification after I deliberately deleted the update files more than once is not helping either.
Not to mention that one of the update files does not read iOS 17.4.1 update, but "System Update".

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
It’s important to update but I will be waiting a few days for any issues to be found. Then I’ll do it

Not updating in a hurry. Waiting to confirm that there are no major bugs.

100% Agree.
After the recent (and not so recent) snafus with updates on macOS, iOS I'm waiting a day or so before updating.

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
Nothing to do with hip and cool. I just prefer things not changing all the time. So I only upgrade every two or three iOS versions.
Life changes all the time. Your life will change very quickly if you’re on a website that has malware hidden in the adds.

Thebugeyes

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2009
Leicester
I updated a couple of days ago and every day since have ended the day with only ~20% battery left!? A rare accordance before the update. 🤷🏼‍♂️

StuBeck

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
always good to know, now, why not publish this kind of info together with the actual release?
They'll never do it because thats not part of their ethos. Its very bizarre that every time there is an update, we're called idiots for not immediately updating our devices when they give us zero reason to.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
always good to know, now, why not publish this kind of info together with the actual release?

Because Apple always likes to give users a few days to update before the bad actors use published vulnerabilities to give many more users a really bad day.

Reactions: centauratlas

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
It does make you wonder how many more maggots are crawling about inside image decoding software :(

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
makes a person wonder if A-inc intentionally codes obscure holes in their OS only to force users into the endless upgrade train to fix them.

I need to just permalink to the last time I answered a post like this. No, Apple doesn't do it on purpose. Complex software is impossible to write bug-free.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I need to just permalink to the last time I answered a post like this. No, Apple doesn't do it on purpose. Complex software is impossible to write bug-free.
Agree, but when iOS updates irreversibly obliterate iOS devices, because they do NOT allow downgrading, I don’t care if it’s intentional or not. I care about the fact it happens.

If you want a good device for years, never update iOS. Keep it on the version designed for the device, keep it on the device’s original iOS version.

Reactions: pali2704

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
It is scary that somehow we still see arbitrary code execution bugs with image decoders. How it is possible that libraries like this still are not fully isolated from being able to execute code?

What's really crazy is back in iOS 15 I think it was they even had a whole codename "Blast Door" to prevent execution in Messages, especially of images and PDFs. It doesn't seem to be working. There were still Messages exploits after that. I don't recall hearing about Messages specifically in a while but we still see these image processing vulnerabilities.

I don't know enough about how it works to really comment beyond saying that I know Windows has had issues like this for years because for some crazy reason years ago image processing had a kernel component.

I too don't understand how in the year 2024 image processing could lead to such a huge issue. I would love to see a technical explainer on this one.

• Wow
Reactions: gusmula

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Agree, but when iOS updates irreversibly obliterate iOS devices, because they do NOT allow downgrading, I don’t care if it’s intentional or not. I care about the fact it happens.

If you want a good device for years, never update iOS. Keep it on the version designed for the device, keep it on the device’s original iOS version.

I get your point but I kind of gave up this fight. OS vendors realized years ago they can use security updates as a stick to force upgrades to otherwise perfectly fine operating systems. Microsoft has been pulling this for decades. This is old hat to Apple as well.

At least they do still provide some security updates to older hardware that they won't allow to upgrade.

I personally would love to have iOS 15 on my iPads, fully security patched. But I can understand why that doesn't happen. At a certain point you can't go back through old code branches and be sure you've solved the same bugs because the underlying system may work differently at that point. Just too many branching timelines.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I get your point but I kind of gave up this fight. OS vendors realized years ago they can use security updates as a stick to force upgrades to otherwise perfectly fine operating systems. Microsoft has been pulling this for decades. This is old hat to Apple as well.

At least they do still provide some security updates to older hardware that they won't allow to upgrade.

I personally would love to have iOS 15 on my iPads, fully security patched. But I can understand why that doesn't happen. At a certain point you can't go back through old code branches and be sure you've solved the same bugs because the underlying system may work differently at that point. Just too many branching timelines.
Agree, I’m under no illusion that Apple will ever get better at this. So I fight it. I don’t have access to internal downgrading tools, so I never update in the first place. Is it a perfect solution? No. But it’s the only one I have.

As a consequence, everything I have runs almost perfectly.

There was a “bug” with A9 chips on iOS 9 in which they were forcibly deactivated by Apple and forced to update. So I had to update my 9.7-inch iPad Pro to iOS 12. Perfect like iOS 9? No, decent, but far better than the obliterated iPads on iPadOS 16.

It’s the only device I have that doesn’t run original iOS versions. It’s the only way I have to defend myself against this.

It’s sad to see the vast majority of users fall into Apple’s “security” trap and obliterate device after device with the malware that are iOS updates. I try to help by recommending solutions to the most annoying aspects of staying behind, and I help friends and family members by telling them not to update. That’s all I can do. The rest... it’s your choice. If you want to destroy every device you have with the malware called iOS updates, you’re free to do so.

• Wow
Reactions: gusmula

tmmacops

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2019
Probably just me but seeing significant battery drain since 17.4 and now 17.4.1. Anyone else?

jole

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2004
USA
Any compression algorithms (video, image, text, ...) and similarly complex algorithms processing input from network should be isolated from every producing output that could be executed. Let's just accept the minimal overhead from interprocess communication if that is needed for isolating the memory pages.

Portavoz

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2022
Agree, I’m under no illusion that Apple will ever get better at this. So I fight it. I don’t have access to internal downgrading tools, so I never update in the first place. Is it a perfect solution? No. But it’s the only one I have.

As a consequence, everything I have runs almost perfectly.

There was a “bug” with A9 chips on iOS 9 in which they were forcibly deactivated by Apple and forced to update. So I had to update my 9.7-inch iPad Pro to iOS 12. Perfect like iOS 9? No, decent, but far better than the obliterated iPads on iPadOS 16.

It’s the only device I have that doesn’t run original iOS versions. It’s the only way I have to defend myself against this.

It’s sad to see the vast majority of users fall into Apple’s “security” trap and obliterate device after device with the malware that are iOS updates. I try to help by recommending solutions to the most annoying aspects of staying behind, and I help friends and family members by telling them not to update. That’s all I can do. The rest... it’s your choice. If you want to destroy every device you have with the malware called iOS updates, you’re free to do so.
If you want to destroy every device you have with the malware called iOS updates ?
Dramatic much?

Reactions: Mr. Heckles
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.