Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mini5apple

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2020
This is not acceptable 2+ years after the update was released

This company is disgusting, now I remember why I don’t update these apple machines regularly

Premium prices for 2nd tier service

*cue the apple fanboi’s repeating this never happens to them, we all know is lies

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
Happened to me with update, not sure if it was Catalina - it happened few years ago. After significant effort it turned out to be hardware issue, which was fixed by Apple by replacing mainboard. Best guess was, that update used some part of silicon differently and failure manifested itself or that update flashed firmware (~bios) which exposed the flaw. You can try to roll back, if the system can be started in recovery... Not sure what else, the system must be older if you are still on Catalina.

mini5apple

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2020
Happened to me with update, not sure if it was Catalina - it happened few years ago. After significant effort it turned out to be hardware issue, which was fixed by Apple by replacing mainboard. Best guess was, that update used some part of silicon differently and failure manifested itself or that update flashed firmware (~bios) which exposed the flaw. You can try to roll back, if the system can be started in recovery... Not sure what else, the system must be older if you are still on Catalina.

Currently in internet recovery however its stalling/slow at 3/4 way through

I have entered utility prior to this but the apple service rep said to Internet recover

Worked trouble free prior to this secruity update

If an apple security update has corrupted this Mac then haha proves apple is a disgrace

Unsure at this point

A

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
Similar failures happen on all platforms, nothing Apple specific here. And discussion if Apple is more or less likely to fail is so old and contentious, it is not productive to rehash it. You may feel your device should run forever and Apple is responsible for it, which is not realistic. Our Microsoft/Dell/... devices at work fail at least as often as Apple. Good luck finding any manufacturer with forever device.

If you have a chance and want to fix this reliably, take it to Apple Store to Genius bar. Support & evaluation is free (at least US, not sure where you are) and they will tell you what they suggest if you give it to them for evaluation. My best guess is they will say hardware failure and offer expensive repair, but some report that they got the device fixed during evaluation itself for free. You would have fixed device with 6 month warranty after they fix it, if it is worth it.

If you are lucky and fix it yourself, you may have potentially unreliable device but "fixed" for free. Obvious steps to do is to run hardware diagnostics and see, if there is obvious major fault. Since it is stalling in installation, sounds like drive issue - so check the drive and if it works well enough, wipe and reformat it, then reinstall system available in recovery, and then upgrade to whatever you feel like to have. If it works, it may run forever or for few days, I went through the drive recovery and got all running for it to fail in week or so catastrophically. This was MBP with soldered SSD, so we ended with Apple replacing mainboard.

Or do what I do... Buy new stuff, return old one for recycling. These are tools for work or entertainment and one needs to budget for possibility of having to replace them after warranty (or extended warranty) expires. It's life, I have learned how to live with it. Makes life easier ;-)

mini5apple

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2020
Similar failures happen on all platforms, nothing Apple specific here. And discussion if Apple is more or less likely to fail is so old and contentious, it is not productive to rehash it. You may feel your device should run forever and Apple is responsible for it, which is not realistic. Our Microsoft/Dell/... devices at work fail at least as often as Apple. Good luck finding any manufacturer with forever device.

If you have a chance and want to fix this reliably, take it to Apple Store to Genius bar. Support & evaluation is free (at least US, not sure where you are) and they will tell you what they suggest if you give it to them for evaluation. My best guess is they will say hardware failure and offer expensive repair, but some report that they got the device fixed during evaluation itself for free. You would have fixed device with 6 month warranty after they fix it, if it is worth it.

If you are lucky and fix it yourself, you may have potentially unreliable device but "fixed" for free. Obvious steps to do is to run hardware diagnostics and see, if there is obvious major fault. Since it is stalling in installation, sounds like drive issue - so check the drive and if it works well enough, wipe and reformat it, then reinstall system available in recovery, and then upgrade to whatever you feel like to have. If it works, it may run forever or for few days, I went through the drive recovery and got all running for it to fail in week or so catastrophically. This was MBP with soldered SSD, so we ended with Apple replacing mainboard.

Or do what I do... Buy new stuff, return old one for recycling. These are tools for work or entertainment and one needs to budget for possibility of having to replace them after warranty (or extended warranty) expires. It's life, I have learned how to live with it. Makes life easier ;-)

It’s had a new macOS catalina installed

The secruity update was realeased 2 years prior yet not patched even with the multiple reports of failures

No excuse

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
what is going on with Catalina?
the reason I ask is my neighbor is using my MBP13" mid2012
with a a fresh December 2023 install of Catalina from apple.
if there is a chance that get upgraded and crashes, I need to stop working and fix that.
should I worry all day today?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.