Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pinktank

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
Loop cases updated their Mummy cases silently for the newer ipad minis, but their web pages still show renders without the mic hole. They generously provided this unit for review

txlU6rD.jpg

The case mimics a band wrapping around the ipad mini -hence the name mummy- in molded silicone. The corners, as you can see from the general shape of the case on the bottom right photo, offer a little more protection than the rest of the case, and unlike most silicone cases, this case is actually a smart cover companion cover, with back metal plates to hold the smart cover open when folded back to boot. I had high expectations for this case, as it looked like their attention to detail would create something that put together form and function, and while it does so, it has some significant drawbacks.

Unfortunately, the silicone moulding is really not that great, with sharp and uneven edges (see the top mic that looks like it was made with toothpicks) around the mics/toggleswitch/speakers/lighting port, along with a rather dramatic mold release line around the edge of the ipad. The cutouts aren't beveled in either. Also, the corners where the bands of the mummy meets also show release marks, being a little coarse and uneven where it should be straight or a clean corner. The camera hole and the headphone hole are not centered, but not enough to hinder anything. The front lip covers most of the right and left margins of the ipad, but the right side does not sit fully flat and flush despite leaving it on there for a couple days to see if it would stretch on. Perhaps they maintained the thickness of the original ipad mini in the mould? That would explain it.

Functionally, the case indeed works with the smart cover, and instead of having a big hole for the magnet side, it instead has a thin layer of silicone which works fine unless you plan to lift your ipad by the cover (which you shouldn't anyhow). Unfortunately, the front lip of the case prevents the smart cover from remaining closed when held upside down. The same lip, as it is a silicone case with no rigid frame around it, tends to pull of as you grab the ipad with one hand as one does in reading, picking it up, etc, and you have to sort of push it back even after laying it down. In contrast, the little metal plates built into the cases back do hold the smart cover when it is flapped fully open. The buttons on the other hand, work great all around

They said they are working on a straightjacket model that will incorporate a rigid element around the edges of the ipad, which should address most of my concerns, given that they employ better QC on the mould-release issues.

So I must apologize, as they were so generous to ship me a sample all the way to the UK, but I cannot say I was satisfied with it. I even went out and bought a genuine smart cover to make it a proper review. Maybe I had a bad sample on the silicone finishing front, but that would still not account for the flabby edges and the front cover not attaching while upside down. This being said, there aren't many silicone smart cover buddy cases, so it is still an alternative. Let me know with any questions.

It's 92 grams
for comparison, the smart cover that you would attach on top is 69 grams

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.