Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

myestro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
I downloaded the new update and right away things changed.
All of my dock items would not open unless I at least double clicked on them.
Then today when I start up, I get nothing but the flashing question mark.
Tonight I will do the disk utility things (maybe reset the PRAM).
I'll post results tomorrow.
I just wanted to throw this out for everyone's info sake. Or if anyone has heard of something similar anywhere. (I'm seeing some printer issues but that's about it)

thanks!

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
What did you update?

Have you tried to repair disk permissions?

Do you have any third party apps that tweak things installed? One of these could be the culprit.

myestro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Sorry for the vagueness. I updated OSX to 10.3.6
I'm on an Emac 700mhz.
No, I don't have any 3rd party apps that do anything like that.

myestro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
I love my Mac

Ok, here's an update;
I think this all started when I decided to just go ahead and update whenever the update manager said there was something to update. And... I was unaware that I need to disconnect my ext firewire HD before updating.
Anyhoo... I ended up having to re-installing OSX (install, not restore). To my suprise, when it finished, everything was back to normal! Nothing lost!
I then allowed the update to run (with the ext hd not connected of coarse) and everything is good again in my world.
After talking with a lot of fellow Mac users I have learned that it is a good idea to wait about a week after a new update comes out before downloading.
(yeah, yeah... and unplug any perifs too;-)

hope this info can help someone else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.