Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saulinpa

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2008
Brand new out of box Apple Studio is showing this as well. Running 12.2.

Edit: Updated to 12.3 and no longer shows swscan.

Last edited:

Almtadzc

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2022
Hey guys, I can't upload the latest Monterey 12.3 on my mac after trying for 15 times. Plus since then when I have 50+% of battery he turns off and when I turn it on again I see 0% so I plug it and after 2 min it jumps back to the number I had earlier. But keeps turning off even if I just put it on chargimg

MrParticular

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2021
New York
This annoyance is still around. I'm running an M1 Mac Mini on 12.5.1 and it does not see 12.6 like my other machines. It's the only one I see the swscan alert on. I changed back to "defaults" even though I never changed anything but it still does not see 12.6. The message "Updates for this Mac are managed by “swscan.apple.com” comes and goes but it thinks 12.5.1 is up to date.

saulinpa

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2008
This annoyance is still around. I'm running an M1 Mac Mini on 12.5.1 and it does not see 12.6 like my other machines. It's the only one I see the swscan alert on. I changed back to "defaults" even though I never changed anything but it still does not see 12.6. The message "Updates for this Mac are managed by “swscan.apple.com” comes and goes but it thinks 12.5.1 is up to date.
You can try fighting with Apple to fix it or do a manual upgrade through the app store. https://apps.apple.com/us/app/macos-monterey/id1576738294

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
If you ever figure out what is necessary to deliberately get a device to do this, I would love to know. I assume the device somehow thinks it's enrolled in an MDM, even though one is not displayed.

My iMac produces this message, and it's great. It *never* tries to apply updates on its own, I do them all. I would love to make the same change to my MBP.

Rajutrajat1990

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2023
For this first time, I'm seeing this message in the Software Update preferences on my Mac (M1 mini Big Sur 11.5.1) for the available 11.5.2 update. There's an option to restore default update settings? I'm quite sure I didn't change anything related to this. I researched a bit but couldn't find a good answer.

What does it mean and are there any advantages or disadvantages of letting it stand or restoring the default method?

View attachment 1817476
Even today, apple support does not have an answer to this. Attached the screenshot.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-02 at 12.18.08 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-02 at 12.18.08 PM.png
    106.1 KB · Views: 525

keef_khan

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2017
Just wanted to add I got this message on macOS Sonoma Public Beta 1. Not sure why it's there because there is a setting right below the message that controls which channel I want to receive updates through.

Couriant

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2023
I saw this while updating from Ventura to Sonoma on two machines. We are using MDM but I assume this is across the board.

Like others, a little weird since we are managing the devices.

Anyone else figured what this was about?

Higene

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2023
I got the "Updates for this Mac are managed by swscan.apple.com" message today when installing update 14.1.2 onto my MacBook Air and received 404 error when attempting to connect to https://swcan.apple.com using Chrome. I noticed that the other installed browsers, Firefox and Safari, were able to make the connection ok (nothing to show...just a blank screen. No 404 error and correct certificate details however). Chrome was set as the default browser on the laptop.

I found a similar issue on my Mac Mini. Safari and Firefox were able to connect to https://swscan.apple.com but Chrome received a 404 error. Firefox was the default browser on the Mini and I don't recall seeing the message flash up when I installed the 14.1.2 update last night. My finger is beginning to point to Chrome browser set as the default.

n00boflife

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2011
I received the same message after update to 14.2 and reboot. Content Caching may be the cause. I have Content Caching enabled on another Mac:

iheard

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2024
whatever service was hosted on it is now taken down and the subdomain is inactive according to who.is
I also got it on 14.2 but it's disappeared.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.