Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roobarb!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
I've seen it mentioned a few times that firmware updates don't always work when booting from non-Apple storage. Well, I took a moment to check the firmware on my 'MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)', the MacBookPro12,1 A1502 model, which had its Apple SSD die out of warranty and which now carries a Samsung 970 EVO Plus. It's been updated to Catalina for a while now and just got the 10.15.3 update from a full installer.

The boot ROM on this machine is stuck at MBP121.0176.B00, where according to @tsialex firmware updates list it should have reached 188.0.0.0.0.

So the obvious question - is there a way to get this thing to upgrade its firmware without trying to find an Apple branded SSD on eBay?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
is there a way to get this thing to upgrade its firmware without trying to find an Apple branded SSD on eBay?
Buy the 12+16 SSD.

It’s possible to workaround the requirement with a BootROM reconstruction but it’s beyond the capabilities of 99,9% of the users. I shouldn’t even write this because now people will ask me to do reconstructions and I’ll have to say no…

Reactions: roobarb!

Earl Urley

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2014
Apple's security / point updaters seem to do a check on the vendor code of the SSD installed- I've found that if I use an SSD made by the same three vendors that supply Apple with SSDs, Samsung, Toshiba, or SanDisk, that the firmware updates do install.

A while back, MyDigitalDiscount was selling Samsung SM951 AHCIs.. only 256 GB size but that's plenty.

I keep a fresh copy of Mojave installed on one SM 951, luckily it fits into the same Sintech adapter I use for an Inland Premium 1 TB. I take out the Inland, use the SM 951 to do the security update, and my BootROM gets kicked up!

My 2015 rMBP will not update BootROM with the Inland Premium 1 TB SSD installed, since Phison is not one of Apple's original OEMs.

I haven't tested in a while, but I believe a Samsung EVO 960 NVMe will do the trick coupled with the Sintech adapter; I have one spare rMBP that hasn't been updated since 10.13.2, I'll try the EVO 960 and see if it works since its a lot easier to get one of those over a SM 951. It's a 500 but should work the same.

roobarb!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
I'll try the EVO 960 and see if it works since its a lot easier to get one of those over a SM 951. It's a 500 but should work the same.
Thanks; it's a Samsung 970 EVO Plus which is in there, on a Sintech adapter, but I guess there's something sufficiently different about it to upset the updater. Be interesting to hear how it goes!

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Appreciate the straight response, @tsialex! I shall watch for small ones on eBay. :)

I was hoping the other option wasn't the only option... thanks, Apple!
We don't really understand why this requirement is enforced, with Macs that use .fd images like most 2014 and 2015 Macs is relatively easy to workaround it, but .scap that is used for most 2012/2013 Macs become much more complex to reconstruct since the firmware image can't be used directly to flash.
[automerge]1580479848[/automerge]
Apple's security / point updaters seem to do a check on the vendor code of the SSD installed- I've found that if I use an SSD made by the same three vendors that supply Apple with SSDs, Samsung, Toshiba, or SanDisk, that the firmware updates do install.

A while back, MyDigitalDiscount was selling Samsung SM951 AHCIs.. only 256 GB size but that's plenty.

I keep a fresh copy of Mojave installed on one SM 951, luckily it fits into the same Sintech adapter I use for an Inland Premium 1 TB. I take out the Inland, use the SM 951 to do the security update, and my BootROM gets kicked up!

My 2015 rMBP will not update BootROM with the Inland Premium 1 TB SSD installed, since Phison is not one of Apple's original OEMs.

I haven't tested in a while, but I believe a Samsung EVO 960 NVMe will do the trick coupled with the Sintech adapter; I have one spare rMBP that hasn't been updated since 10.13.2, I'll try the EVO 960 and see if it works since its a lot easier to get one of those over a SM 951. It's a 500 but should work the same.
This idea was debunked some time ago, since people with Samsung 970 blades can't update the firmware with MP6,1.

jrssman

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2021
Warsaw, Poland
Hi Earl! You gave me some hope! Were you able to try the EVO 960? I have one installed in my laptop with Windows on it and I was wondering if using it will do the trick. I've asked in repair shop - they said that for 25$ they will do the updates for me with an original SSD, but I prefer to keep my 25$ and buy a new SSD for the laptop and leave the EVO with MBA. Thanks!

Uddername

macrumors member
May 9, 2013
Can somebody inform me why you need to update the BootROM if you've already upgraded the SSD on your MacBook Pro 2015 model? What purpose does it serve? What happens if you don't? How do you do it? How can you check what your Bootrom is? Youtube provides surprisingly little answers on this subject.

jrssman

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2021
Warsaw, Poland
Can somebody inform me why you need to update the BootROM if you've already upgraded the SSD on your MacBook Pro 2015 model? What purpose does it serve? What happens if you don't? How do you do it? How can you check what your Bootrom is? Youtube provides surprisingly little answers on this subject.
From what I've learned so far - MBAs and MBPs 2013-2015 have some issues with standby mode - system does not come back, computer resets. Boot ROM updates provided with BigSur seem to resolve those issues. To check your version simply click on the apple in upper left corner > this mac > system report.

Reactions: Audit13

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
From what I've learned so far - MBAs and MBPs 2013-2015 have some issues with standby mode - system does not come back, computer resets. Boot ROM updates provided with BigSur seem to resolve those issues. To check your version simply click on the apple in upper left corner > this mac > system report.
Yup, using a HP ex900 in a 2014 Air no longer has a problem with wake from hibernation.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
What is your Boot ROM version? I am stuck with 117.0.0.0.0, Lilu and NVMefix seem to help.
I don't have an early 2015 13" Pro but I do have an early 2015 Air 13" with bottom 426.0.0.0 with an Intel 660p and my friend has an early 2015 13" Air with an HP ex900 and 426.0.0.0. Both of the Airs are running the latest Big Sur 11.2.3. Both Airs have been running NVMe drives since Mojave.

Stewart Gooderman

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2020
San Francisco
Hi Earl! You gave me some hope! Were you able to try the EVO 960? I have one installed in my laptop with Windows on it and I was wondering if using it will do the trick. I've asked in repair shop - they said that for 25$ they will do the updates for me with an original SSD, but I prefer to keep my 25$ and buy a new SSD for the laptop and leave the EVO with MBA. Thanks!
I'm late to this, but I had a Samsung EVO 960 put into my brand new MBP mid-2015 when I bought it in 2018, and the firmware has not been updated since I bought the computer upgrading it all the way to Big Sur. That SSD died about 6 months ago and now have an OWC Aura Pro X2. And OWC says the only real way to do this is to replace the original Apple SSD into the machine, update the OS and then swap out the Apple SSD for the OWC SSD and update the OS again.

Reactions: Argoduck

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'm late to this, but I had a Samsung EVO 960 put into my brand new MBP mid-2015 when I bought it in 2018, and the firmware has not been updated since I bought the computer upgrading it all the way to Big Sur. That SSD died about 6 months ago and now have an OWC Aura Pro X2. And OWC says the only real way to do this is to replace the original Apple SSD into the machine, update the OS and then swap out the Apple SSD for the OWC SSD and update the OS again.
What is the bootrom version in your MacBook?

Stewart Gooderman

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2020
San Francisco
I can't find that. What I do know is the System Firmware is
MPB114.882.0182.B00.1802270937. My MBP identifier is 11,4

From what I understand this Firmware is from February 27, 2018. I purchased the MBP on July 11, 2018.
The System Report shows no boot ROM designation.

My machine never used the original SSD. The dealer I bought it from had ordered it with the smallest SSD and with my request, immediately replaced the Apple SSD with the Samsung 2 TB SSD and installed High Sierra on it. My understanding is that because the machine was never upgraded to Mohave or Catalina with the original SSD, the version of the firmware I had was not upgradeable with anything *but* the original SSD.

I never paid attention to the firmware until one of my patients, who knew I used Macs warned me of the Monterey problem just this past Friday, because he had the same problem. I rarely upgrade the OS "right out of the box," but wait until one or two upgrades for Apple to get the bugs out.

roobarb!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
And OWC says the only real way to do this is to replace the original Apple SSD into the machine, update the OS and then swap out the Apple SSD for the OWC SSD and update the OS again.

That has been exactly my experience. I did buy the small SSD that I was considering way back in January of last year, but it sat in a drawer for 18 months until Monterey forced my hand. I made a USB stick installer of Monterey, put the little Apple SSD in the machine and it updated the firmware perfectly. Then I swapped back to the Samsung drive and completed my "proper install".

The only thing I've noticed that's outwardly different is that they changed the boot chime! I thought something had gone horribly wrong and my audio system had been damaged in some way by the firmware update, but no. Turns out the new boot chime is sort of low and husky, rather than bright and cheery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.