Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zetb0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2020
Hello and Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays,

I have a mid-2012 13” MBP running on 10.12.6 Sierra, which I’ve been trying to update to the latest OS for some time now. Any update that is newer than Sierra throws a “An error occurred while verifying firmware” error.

After removing the CD/DVD drive in order to fit the caddy/bracket, I have swapped the original HDD with Crucial’s BX300 SSD and tried to find an update, but on their official site there are currently no updates for that particular SSD (https://uk.crucial.com/support/ssd-support/bx300-support).

SPECS -
Model: MacBookPro9,2
Boot ROM Version: MBP91.00D3.B0B
SMC Version (system): 2.2f44
SSD: CT240BX300SSD1 240GB

I think the latest EFI is .B0C, however unable to install that either (requires OSX 10.9).
I’m not an Apple expert, but as far as I understand, it’s because High Sierra and above require the disk to be APFS? Is there a way to fix this?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hello and Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays,

I have a mid-2012 13” MBP running on 10.12.6 Sierra, which I’ve been trying to update to the latest OS for some time now. Any update that is newer than Sierra throws a “An error occurred while verifying firmware” error.

After removing the CD/DVD drive in order to fit the caddy/bracket, I have swapped the original HDD with Crucial’s BX300 SSD and tried to find an update, but on their official site there are currently no updates for that particular SSD (https://uk.crucial.com/support/ssd-support/bx300-support).

SPECS -
Model: MacBookPro9,2
Boot ROM Version: MBP91.00D3.B0B
SMC Version (system): 2.2f44
SSD: CT240BX300SSD1 240GB

I think the latest EFI is .B0C, however unable to install that either (requires OSX 10.9).
I’m not an Apple expert, but as far as I understand, it’s because High Sierra and above require the disk to be APFS? Is there a way to fix this?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
The latest bootROM is 233.0.0.0.0, which is much newer than what’s on your computer (Apple changed the numbering pattern a while ago) and is only installed with the most recent OS and security updates.
I would put the disk you’re trying to install to in the original drive position, and if possible maybe even temporarily reinstall the DVD drive, and see if that allows the firmware to upgrade properly. The message you’re getting is not related to the SSD’s firmware revision.

zetb0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2020
The latest bootROM is 233.0.0.0.0, which is much newer than what’s on your computer (Apple changed the numbering pattern a while ago) and is only installed with the most recent OS and security updates.
I would put the disk you’re trying to install to in the original drive position, and if possible maybe even temporarily reinstall the DVD drive, and see if that allows the firmware to upgrade properly. The message you’re getting is not related to the SSD’s firmware revision.
Thank you for replying. I think I'm going to put back the original HDD, update the firmware during installation and then replace it again with the SSD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.