Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dajjorg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
Hi all,

I recently bought a (dirt cheap) used iPhone 5s to serve as a backup while my iPhone 7 is being repaired for a couple weeks. It's in mint condition, and is still running IOS 9.3.2. And to my pleasant surprise it runs really friggin' fast, like faster than my iphone 7.

It's prompting me to update to IOS 12, which is the last available IOS available for the 5s. So will updating it slow it down? Or should it run just as fast on IOS 12 as 9.3?

Thanks...

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
iOS 12 will surely slow down your iPhone compared to iOS 9. But the slowdown isn’t that noticeable.

With that being said, you should keep iOS 9 as iOS 12 doesn’t bring any truly useful feature for iPhone 5s imo.

Reactions: eyoungren

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Thanks Shirasaki. No security risks associated with older IOS versions?
There are always security risks with something older. How likely you would stumble on something that would exploit one of those is a somewhat different question that's harder to answer.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I've got an iPhone 5 (not 5S) on the last version of iOS 10. that's the farthest it will go. on that phone, boot time takes FOREVER on iOS 10.x and it used to boot quick on iOS 9.
Using it feels about the same speed as iOS 9 though.

If you want to stay with iOS 9, be aware that lots of apps won't run on it and most bank websites won't let you even visit the site. forget about using their apps.
browsing the internet on iOS 9 is very hit or miss. a lot of web pages won't render correctly or even load at all. Blank white page.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Thanks Shirasaki. No security risks associated with older IOS versions?
Security flaw is always present regardless of what iOS version it goes. Even iOS 14 will have security flaws. It’s only a matter of whether they are found and when they are found.

What you should worry about is app and website compatibility, like the other member demonstrated. Those can be the difference maker.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Hi all,

I recently bought a (dirt cheap) used iPhone 5s to serve as a backup while my iPhone 7 is being repaired for a couple weeks. It's in mint condition, and is still running IOS 9.3.2. And to my pleasant surprise it runs really friggin' fast, like faster than my iphone 7.

It's prompting me to update to IOS 12, which is the last available IOS available for the 5s. So will updating it slow it down? Or should it run just as fast on IOS 12 as 9.3?

Thanks...
Yea! It’ll slow our down. I had a working 5a before and it got slowed with updates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.