Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ppenn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
I have an iPhone 6 running on 11.4.1 and I wondering if anyone here is also still using on iPhone 6 but on the latest iOS 12 it's spec'd to handle. I'm not really having any issue with the phone but it is a bit sluggish at times at certain apps have been killing the battery (which claims to be at 95% of its capacity). I'm the type that doesn't want to buy a new iPhone until the phone straight up does not work so I'd like to get the most out of this 6. So, what do you think? will updating do more harm than good or should I go for it?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I happen to think iOS 12 was the best version of iOS offered as far as performance especially for phones like the 6. It was definitely better than any version of iOS 11 so I'd say update.. My iPhone X is on 12.4.1 and I have no plan to update to iOS 13

ppenn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
I happen to think iOS 12 was the best version of iOS offered as far as performance especially for phones like the 6. It was definitely better than any version of iOS 11 so I'd say update.. My iPhone X is on 12.4.1 and I have no plan to update to iOS 13
Have you personally used a 6 on ios 12?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
6S not a 6. I can only parrot what I've read on these forums during the iOS 12 time period and it was biased heavily toward iOS 12 being an excellent OS for older phones as far as performance and stability was concerned. It definitely is better than iOS 11 that's for sure. Ultimately you're the one that needs to decide if you want to take the chance. If you do decide to do it I would recommend a full restore using iTunes and then setup as new without using your backup. This way insures a clean installation of 12.4.6 (latest version) and then when you sign back into iCloud you get all you pictures and settings returned. You'll also have to download all your apps again and setup mail accounts which is a pain but I feel it's worth it. Remember, iOS 12 wasn't designed to add a bunch of new features it was meant to focus on performance and stability improvements especially for older devices..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.