Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Khorn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
Germany
Anyone else with the problem that updating people in the photos app is not finishing?
I'm not talking about the popup when trying to open the people album while photos are still being scanned.
I mean the message at the bottom of the people album.

On older iOS versions this was finished overnight on charger.
Already tried restarting the device.

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2018
When you go to the photos tab and then choose e. g. day view and scroll to the bottom, is there the indication that the photos curation is still at work? If so, that can take quite some time. For me (2,000 photos, 500 videos) it took 2 nights + some time during the days.

Khorn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
Germany
Curating is already finished. Took a few hours after restore.
The only thing missing is the updating people and because there is no progress indicator I can't really tell if its stuck, still going or finished and the message is just a bug.

Already tried disabling and re enabling iCloud library. This forced uploading all pictures again, scanned faces again and is now stuck again at updating people.

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2018
Then I also don’t really know a solution, sorry. Perhaps it still takes some more time or it will get fixed in 13.1.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
Anyone else with the problem that updating people in the photos app is not finishing?
I'm not talking about the popup when trying to open the people album while photos are still being scanned.
I mean the message at the bottom of the people album.

On older iOS versions this was finished overnight on charger.
Already tried restarting the device.

for me, iOS Photos "Curating" process went like this:
for first 12 hours only about 10% progress .
then over the course of next hour or two, it finished all of it.
i think it is dependent on how heavily burdened the apple servers are in your apple iCloud account's country.
i also think that a complete restart of yr device is the best way to tell apple's servers that there are processes on yr device/iCloud account that haven't finished and to prompt downloads/syncs.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
I do not used iCloud library and it’s been weeks that people hasn’t finished updating. Any ideas?

4k78

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
I do not used iCloud library and it’s been weeks that people hasn’t finished updating. Any ideas?

I’m having the same problem. Only about 1500 photos on my XS Max. I don’t use iCloud photos. Driving me nuts.

Vlad Soare

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Bucharest, Romania
In two and a half weeks mine has scanned about five thousand photos out of twenty thousand. What I don't understand is why it had to start with the scanning all over again, when all the photos had already been scanned in iOS 12. Can't iOS 13 use the same information?

I guess having a 72 GB library on a 64 GB phone with optimized storage doesn't help, as it has to constantly move pictures in and out of the cloud in order to scan them all (because I imagine it needs to scan the full photo for faces, not just a thumbnail). Also, I don't leave the phone on the charger over night; maybe that would help speed things up.

Last edited:

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
I’m having the same problem. Only about 1500 photos on my XS Max. I don’t use iCloud photos. Driving me nuts.

i only have about 5000 photos and still doesn’t work
In two and a half weeks mine has scanned about five thousand photos out of twenty thousand. What I don't understand is why it had to start with the scanning all over again, when all the photos had already been scanned in iOS 12. Can't iOS 13 use the same information?

I guess having a 72 GB library on a 64 GB phone with optimized storage doesn't help, as it has to constantly move pictures in and out of the cloud in order to scan them all (because I imagine it needs to scan the full photo for faces, not just a thumbnail). Also, I don't leave the phone on the charger over night; maybe that would help speed things up.

It doesn’t. I’ve left it plugged in almost nightly and it’s still hung for weeks now. This is a bug and the process is hung. Annoying as it has a few people to finish scanning.

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
Mine was taking days so I turned off photos. Waited for an hour for it to clear out then rebooted and turned iCloud photos back on. Finished within 2 days then.

ssimonvii

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2012
Mine is making great progress at .25 photos per day.

iOS 13 is the most horrific update to photos I have ever seen. Nothing but problems.
IMG_0247.PNG

Maki Roc

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2014
I have similar problems. However I wouldn't mind waiting a long time for the peoples folder to update if iTunes doesn't randomly resync all the photos from the PC every now and then and the cycle repeats its self. Makes me wanna smash my phone

Treyp75

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2021
STILL having this problem! I recently had to wipe my mac and reinstall Big Sur. My Photos have all been downloaded from iCloud. For a week, 0 photos have been scanned. I can leave photos running (I leave it alone) in the background for a day. I can quit it for a day. Nothing seems to make a difference. MEANWHILE, when I open my library on my phone, it's got TONS of suggestions for faces!!! This is so weird and frustrating. Nobody's tips and tricks seem to be valid.

KeeganGoerz

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2020
STILL having this problem! I recently had to wipe my mac and reinstall Big Sur. My Photos have all been downloaded from iCloud. For a week, 0 photos have been scanned. I can leave photos running (I leave it alone) in the background for a day. I can quit it for a day. Nothing seems to make a difference. MEANWHILE, when I open my library on my phone, it's got TONS of suggestions for faces!!! This is so weird and frustrating. Nobody's tips and tricks seem to be valid.
I am having this issue, but on my new iPhone 13 Pro Max. What is most weird is previously, if I ever did a restore from backup or swapped a device due to a problem, the photo scanning didn't seem to need to be redone. Weirder yet, is it syncs face data across devices now, so why does it seem like my iPhone is having to start from the beginning? It has been over two and a bit weeks and I am only about half way done.

jazsm97

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2019
I got my 13 Pro on release day, and here we are about a month later and it's only scanned 14 faces in the photos app. I have 300 gigs of photos and videos in my library, and can assure everyone that there are far more than 14 different people in my photos. The scan seemed to stop until today when I tried to jog it by ID'ing additional photos for the people it already identified, but in the last 3 hours it hasn't found anyone else yet. Don't know what to do.

lukejames

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2012
I am having this issue, but on my new iPhone 13 Pro Max. What is most weird is previously, if I ever did a restore from backup or swapped a device due to a problem, the photo scanning didn't seem to need to be redone. Weirder yet, is it syncs face data across devices now, so why does it seem like my iPhone is having to start from the beginning? It has been over two and a bit weeks and I am only about half way done.
I am over two YEARS and still at 0 scanned faces. Apple really does not care. They are not at all interested in fixing things that break. It's too hard. They simply must stop touting it as a feature, because it simply does not exist anymore.

KeeganGoerz

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2020
I am over two YEARS and still at 0 scanned faces. Apple really does not care. They are not at all interested in fixing things that break. It's too hard. They simply must stop touting it as a feature, because it simply does not exist anymore.
That sounds incredibly frustrating... I can say I have not had that experience. Even until recently my phone had scanned 19k out of 20k photos, but it appears stuck on that last 1000. And even that is new, as previous iPhone's had no issue completing the entire album... and usually in a single night of scanning.

3FLi

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2021
I had this same problem even after I upgrade iphones to the 13.

I would try this first which doesn't require deleting anything.
I didn't bother with the last sugguestion to use a 3rd party software to repair you ios. As a commenter sugguested you can just use iTunes to repair your iOS if you really think thats the problem.

The best take away from the video was going into Settings >Photos > Reset People Suggestions.
I would try this first and plugging it in overnight and seeing if it worked before trying the next fix I found.

__

What I think actually worked for me was following this persons advice and plugging it in over night. I would suggest backing up your iphone before trying it. I didn't and was so mad when it didn't seem like it was working and I deleted all the named people I already had saved and the phone was recognizing. Bewared though as of 1 day into the "fix" all the photos were scanned but some of my previously recognized people didn't populate. However there is hope since the iphone does say on the bottom of the People folder "Updating People... To finish updating your people, lock your iPhone and connect it to power." It might still be combing through the photos for lesser photographed people which may take more time since they aren't as frequently photographed.

FYI my iPhone did not ask "if you want to restart the faces scan" my People folder still had the same message screen "0 Photos Scanned" "To finish scanning your remaining XXXXX photos, lock your iPhone and connect it to power." which made it seem like I did nothing to correct the issue.

<You may have a photo or video on the iPhone, that cannot be processed and needs deleting. But that kind of error is very hard to track down.

Or the people database is corrupted. Then it would help to reset the people database and start over. To do that you would have to delete all named persons from the People album. Photos will then ask, if you want to restart the faces scan.

Or wait for the next update to iOS to see if a bug fix will take care of this problem.>

Hope this helps someone else with this incredibly frustrating issue

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.