Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chacala_Nayarit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
Lakewood, Washington
Here's the deal.

I worked at a Newspaper as a Web Editor in 2003, with skills learned in 2001. The job was basic and the pay was scat (8.50 an hour). The job entailed rasterizing PDF print advertisments to JPEG for the Web site and uploading them to a server, and editing the HTML link on the marketing section of the Newspaper site. Woot! :rolleyes:

The most "complicated" duty was updating and cleaning up code ( vanillia HTML) on third-party sites. Woot! :rolleyes:

So, I have been out of school and not finished with the Info Sys degree due to lack of funding. Although I have a seasonal job processing fish on a boat that pays about 20k in six months - enough to get back into school.

I was searching jobs on craigslist and seeing what was in the Web programming info design market. To my surprise, lots of 12.00 to 50.00 an hour jobs. :cool:

So, I feel comfortable with XHTML and CSS, which I use for my personal site (adult content).

Skills I lack:

PHP MySQL

ASP

Flash

Java Script

DHTML / DOM

ASP tutorials make ASP scripting look really straightforward. Where should I begin? Thanks for suggestions, critizisms, and support! :)

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
I should think php mysql should be good starting point if you intend to go into server-side scripting unless you intends to work in big organization, for which maybe ASP.net or JSP/Java would be better. I think you would be better off without ASP, try ASP.net instead

Oryan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Lincoln, NE
I'll second using ASP.net over ASP for server-side scripting. A great help site is 4 Guys From Rolla. Like angelneo said, this is probably more useful for corporate work. I'd focus on JavaScript and PHP/MySql for small projects.

Doozy

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2005
I agree, learn php and mySQL. I would also take a design class, that will give you an advantage over most code only developers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.