Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gr8putt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2018
lost at sea
I've downloaded High Sierra 10.13.6 Combo Update from Apple, and need to move up from Sierra on a MBP (mid-2015).

Haven't done this for a long time and wonder if it's just that simple, after CCC and TimeMachine B/Ups, to install the High Sierra Combo Update on top of the latest Sierra.

Thanks for advice on best method.

HandyMac

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2014
Also, you might want to upgrade beyond High Sierra. Your 2015 MacBook Pro will take any version of macOS up to the current 12 Monterey (5 versions). That would be a pretty big jump, however, as some big changes have been made from Sierra.

High Sierra began the switch to the new APFS file system, one of the biggest changes ever in Macintosh OS – though it's largely invisible to most non-technical users. Then macOS 11 Big Sur, besides finally abandoning the "10." numbering system, made a lot of interface changes, so it looks rather different than earlier versions. There are also a lot of under-the-hood changes such as abandoning support for older 32-bit applications, which began with 10.14 Mojave (which will warn you when you open a 32-bit app), and was finalized in 10.15 Catalina, which simply won't run 32-bit apps.

This article from Howard Oakley will be helpful: Where we’re coming from: recent macOS. Howard's site is also a gold mine of macOS lore and troubleshooting advice. (I'd guess he knows more about the innards of macOS than most at Apple itself.)

I would suggest, for a non-technical user who's accustomed to the look and feel of Sierra, not upgrading beyond Catalina as a first step, as it still retains the character of "traditional" macOS. But first you should check to see if any of your essential apps are 32-bit; here's a search which offers various ways of making that check: How to check for 32-bit applications in macOS. If you wouldn't mind losing any 32-bit apps you may have, go to Catalina, and use it for a while before moving up from there to Monterey (which I believe will be the last macOS version your 2015 MacBook Pro will run). One advantage is that Apple is still supplying security and other updates to Catalina, at least until this Fall.

If you have 32-bit apps you depend on, you can upgrade to High Sierra, but then try to find upgrades or replacements for those apps before you go further. AlternativeTo - Crowdsourced software recommendations might be useful for that task.

Apple naturally wants you to upgrade to the latest macOS, so they don't make it easy to find older ones. (For instance, if you search in the Mac App Store for "High Sierra", you won't find it, though it is there.) See How to get old versions of macOS.

That document recommends making a backup before upgrading, which is a good (imperative) idea. As it says, Time Machine makes backing up easy; what it doesn't say is that restoring from a Time Machine backup is not so simple. I recommend the excellent SuperDuper! utility for making bootable clone backups.

I also recommend running Disk Utility's First Aid on your drive to make sure the file system is clean before doing an upgrade. (It can be run from the startup drive itself, but better to do it from the Recovery partition. If you don't know about that, you should; see About macOS Recovery on Intel-based Mac computers.) I also regularly run the excellent Maintenance utility to keep things tidy.

gr8putt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2018
lost at sea
Thank you both for prompt replies. HandyMac, I'm grateful for you taking time to be so thorough - very helpful!

I do music and the studio has a mid-2012 3.33 12-core that's doing fine, but limited to Sierra - this (office) MBP has been testing out updates prior to attempting changes in the studio - the reason for not upgrading it's OS. Notably, some Apps (identical downloads) are showing "differences" on these two Sierra machines, more and more so this year, suggesting the more capable MBP (re newer OS capability) gets the full advancements, but the older studio MP gets reduced "accommodations".

But, something happened this weekend re video streaming.
- an older 2008 MP (El Capitan) is fine, the studio mid-2012 MP (Sierra) is fine, both instant YouTube playback
- but this mid-2015 MBP (Sierra) cannot stream video anymore (YouTube - suggests restarting with spin-circle on video pane).

The only answer I can come up with is that the Macs that can upgrade to an OS higher than Sierra are now required to adopt new 'under-the-hood' protocols, or lose them.

You all would know more about that. Anyway, I'm guessing something changed this past weekend and there's a newer set of net-rules in place.

gr8putt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2018
lost at sea
... and, now another new 'under-the-hood' protocol/ restriction -

The Installer for 10.12.6 Sierra, [macOSUpdCombo10.12.6.dmg] - the same 10.12.6 OS that for some years has been, and is currently, running on this mid-2015 MBP, - when attempting to re-install to possibly fix the video issue - did a 'HAL 9000' -

[ macOS Sierra Update can't be installed on this disk. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update. ]

- an opened 10.12.6 Installer, sitting on a 10.12.6 desktop - should this not be possible?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-22 at 10.31.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-22 at 10.31.44 AM.png
    87.3 KB · Views: 110

HandyMac

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2014
If you want to do a reinstall don't use a combo updater.

Brian: I don't think he's trying to reinstall 10.12 from scratch, but to rerun the 10.12.6 Update on the 10.12.6 already installed on his Mac. Which is one traditional method to try to fix problems.

The Installer for 10.12.6 Sierra, [macOSUpdCombo10.12.6.dmg] - the same 10.12.6 OS that for some years has been, and is currently, running on this mid-2015 MBP, - when attempting to re-install to possibly fix the video issue - did a 'HAL 9000' -

[ macOS Sierra Update can't be installed on this disk. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update. ]

- an opened 10.12.6 Installer, sitting on a 10.12.6 desktop - should this not be possible?
Well, that's strange. Traditionally, reinstalling an Update (as from the original 10.12 Sierra install to 10.12.6, which requires a Combo Updater, which you appear to have) is a standard way to attempt to solve problems, by refreshing the software that was previously installed. I have done this dozens of times in the ~20 years I've been working on Mac OS X /macOS (including many times on clients' Macs during the 15 years I made my living doing freelance support). But not in a while, so I just downloaded macOSUpdCombo10.12.6.dmg from Apple, and tried using it on the Sierra 10.12.6 install on my backup MacBook Pro. And was astonished to get the same result:

can't run 10.12.6 update.png

At left is the downloaded .dmg, as it appears on the Desktop. Next, when the .dmg is double-clicked, the volume is mounted on the Desktop, and opens to show the installer package. But when I opened it, it told me "This volume does not meet the requirements for this update." Which would ordinarily appear only if you had, say, v.10.12.3 installed and were trying to install the simple 10.12.6 over it, which would require 10.12.5. Are you sure you have the Combo installer, which should install over any 10.12 version (can't tell from your screenshot, since the mounted volume doesn't say exactly what it is – though the "85.8 MB available, 2.08 GB total" is the same as the one I have).

I have no idea why this happens. Have you run Disk First Aid and Maintenance on your volume, as suggested? And is it backed up? Anyway, those precautions shouldn't make any difference to this problem – since I've done both recently on the Sierra volume where the updater won't work for me.

I'm not sure what to suggest. You could try reinstalling macOS 10.12 Sierra as a whole. That can be done in place, without erasing the drive and starting from scratch (though that's what I usually do, but it's a lengthy tedious task). That can be done either by the instructions on the How to get old versions of macOS page, or via the Recovery partition, as Brian suggests. Either way, you'll get 10.12.6 without the need to install any update.

You could also try calling Apple; they've been pretty good recently about providing support even for old "obsolete" versions of macOS (though the quality of the support has been sinking in my experience, along with everything else as the country sinks into the third world). You could ask why the Combo Update won't install; I'd be interested to hear what they say about that, since it has been a standard troubleshooting/repair method for decades. One thing I've noticed recently is that the old method of just running a downloaded macOS Installer to install fresh on a blank drive doesn't work anymore; now you apparently have to make an installer drive with it first (How to create a bootable installer for macOS).

I've been in the Apple world for 34 years, since I got my first computer, a Mac Plus, in 1988. I've also been struggling with chronic illness, and had to quit working ~12 years ago, so I'm pretty behind the curve now. I'm still working in Sierra myself, have had no interest in "upgrading" my 2014 model MacBooks to later, bigger, buggier software with all its Great! New! Features! that I don't need – and that requires I pay Apple its inflated prices for Great! New! Hardware! I don't need either. I have just decided to upgrade to High Sierra, once I realized it will run on a drive formatted in HFS+ so I don't have to wrestle with the new APFS; but that's as far as I'm going. So my attention was caught by the title of your post.

But I don't have the energy to put into learning the latest Mac lore, which will be no use to me anyway since I intend to move to Open Source (Linux etc.) when I have some energy (and to hardware like the excellent Framework laptop – which of course won't run macOS, but will run Linux very nicely – if/when I ever have money for that). The Mac isn't what it was in the early years; that spirit is now found in the Open Source world. And Apple has become the very Big Brother it famously mocked in 1984. It's going to be a huge job to relearn 34 years of muscle memory, but I'm just not at home here anymore.

So that's all I can offer. I wish you luck. And again, I'd be interested to hear what Apple says about being unable to install the 10.12.6 Combo Update. Maybe they just want you to install the whole OS in every such case. Which is relatively easy now to do in place via Recovery.

gr8putt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2018
lost at sea
Wow, lots of info to process, thank you. Yes, sorry if not being clear, but was trying to reload what's already running (10.12.6) to see if that might fix "playback"".

I did also find that on websites with imbedded videos, they are fully loading, which clears 'streaming throttling' or any other external issues. That is to say (not sure about this), because I am able to drag the button on the play-timeline-bar across from left to right, I see all the frames of the video clip (no audio) from start to finish, indicating the video pane is properly loading making this issue strictly a 'under-the-hood' [.component] or [widget] "play" issue. (?)

If so, however, it seems Apple has deliberately not allowed machines that can upgrade above 10.12 to stream (or therein repair the loss of such).

- HandyMac - would you mind seeing if you have a streaming issue with your Sierra laptop, or possibly would you now what it is that may be corrupted?

That might isolate this issue as being local (just this MBP) as opposed to being universal - like our collective inability to re-install the 10.12.6 OS already functioning (thanks for taking time to attempt a re-install and confirming this new roadblock - this did used to work in the past as you said).

I'll see about getting Apple to go on the record about all of this.

HandyMac

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2014
- HandyMac - would you mind seeing if you have a streaming issue with your Sierra laptop, or possibly would you now what it is that may be corrupted?
Sorry, I know next to nothing about video. I'm old fashioned, prefer to learn stuff by reading, hardly ever watch any videos. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here at MacRumors; you might look around the other forums. Also Apple Discussions (tip: if like me you don't want to do "two-factor authentication", click the "other options" button). And ⌘Ask Different.

gr8putt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2018
lost at sea
Had 2 CHATs and 2 phone calls with the new Apple Customer care group yesterday (they have trouble-shooting webpages to suggest many options for sorting things out) but all 4 came to the conclusion that upgrading my mid-2015 MBP to Monterey is the only way to get Apple Engineering to even agree to take a look at my Issue - which is -

the videos load, in all multiple formats, (YouTube, embedded news sites, video search results), and I can take the button on the timeline and drag from start to finish and see all the frames in total, but there is some throttling that prevents auto-play.

- I learned nothing beyond my own investigations during the 4 hours yesterday with "3rd party Apple Care" (I believe the powers at be set up this Customer buffer that "has no knowledge" beyond trouble-shooting, but is happy to rack up lots of minutes doing so only to repeatedly conclude they cannot think of anything else to try. They literally wait for long pauses hoping you'll give up "the futility". The most senior person did try a 2nd Admin user, Safe Mode, and many other tests, to no avail.

Not one of the 4 people I spoke with would consider why, if the Mac OS Systems all use QuickTime for video playback, and the Sierra version of that uses an upgraded version of the original Snow Leopard QuickTime engine, now 7.6.6 - "why" it is not able to function on a mid-2015 MBP that can upgrade beyond Sierra, but functions without issue on a mid-2012 MP that cannot upgrade above Sierra (and an ElCapitan mid-2008 MP as well).

Also, no one would answer as to what had been altered within the most recent update of the March 13, 2022 QuickTimePlayer 7.6.6 download, or, why a new release of 7.6.6 was necessary as of this past March. "What caused that to happen?"

To summarize, days after upgrading this mid-2015 MBP to Sierra 10.12.6 to fix iTunes not properly update my iPhone SE (that's now fixed), the video on the MBP stopped playback within days.

The most senior person I spoke with at 3rd-party Apple Care said I'm the only one making this complaint - re no video playback using QuickTime 7.6.6, on a mid-2015 MBP since upgrading to Sierra 10.12.6.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.