Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geomacbookpro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2011
I have just installed an updated BT card (see pic) in my Early 2011 MacBook Pro 17".

20190624_231145446_ios-jpg.844952

Initially on reboot it asked me to reset the clock which I did

WiFi works OK

However Bluetooth does not. I get "Bluetooth: Not Available"

I have tried deleting com.apple.Bluetooth.plist and com.apple.Bluetooth.plist.lockfile from the Library/Preferences folder and rebooting after complete shutdown and have done an SMC reset all to no avail

I checked and rechecked the physical connections to the card

I am starting to wonder if there is something wrong with the card itself (I bought it from NewEgg - the inscriptions on the card appear to be correct)

Specs as follows:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,3

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 16 GB

Boot ROM Version: 85.0.0.0.0

SMC Version (system): 1.70f3

Any suggestions? I want to try everything before sending the card back as faulty - it took over 2 weeks to get to Toronto area from China after purchasing it!

Thanks

timish

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Get the card from Troop in that 802.11AC thread and update your wireless AND your bluetooth. I got his card and it works perfectly. I have the same machine FYI.

geomacbookpro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2011
Get the card from Troop in that 802.11AC thread and update your wireless AND your bluetooth. I got his card and it works perfectly. I have the same machine FYI.

Thanks

Unfortunately he says that his card is not compatible (although I notice you say you did get it working)

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...for-unibody-mbps.2171056/page-3#post-27262195

When you said "update your bluetooth" were you just referring to what the card does or were there some software steps required?

timish

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Later in that thread it's confirmed. Several of us in that thread have upgraded our 2011 17 inch machines with his card and it's plug and play, literally.

I wouldn't waste time with that China stuff, support one of the forum members with a card that works and will update your wireless as well. I am not affiliated, just a satisfied client.

Regarding Updating your bluetooth, the card I bought from Troop upgrades your Mac's wifi to 802.11AC from the slower N and also brings your Bluetooth version up to 4.x which is way better too.

mightymacman

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2017
San Luis Obispo, CA
Go to this YouTube Video on how to pull and replace the AirPort-Bluetooth Card.

Once you get a working AirPort-BlueTooth card in place:
Go here to download Continuity Activation Tool.
https://github.com/dokterdok/Continuity-Activation-Tool/

Run it, and follow the prompts. Reboot and ... if done correctly, you'll have that functionality up and running. My 17-inch 2011 wouldn't leave home with out it.

Let us know how this all turned out. Before you give up on that card, make sure the antenna leads are in fact plugged in properly. That was a bug-a-boo for me . . . maybe you too?

Handoff-Continuity.jpg

mightymacman

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2017
San Luis Obispo, CA
Go to this YouTube Video on how to pull and replace the AirPort-Bluetooth Card.

Once you get a working AirPort-BlueTooth card in place:
Go here to download Continuity Activation Tool.
https://github.com/dokterdok/Continuity-Activation-Tool/

Run it, and follow the prompts. Reboot and ... if done correctly, you'll have that functionality up and running. My 17-inch 2011 wouldn't leave home with out it.

Let us know how this all turned out. Before you give up on that card, make sure the antenna leads are in fact plugged in properly. That was a bug-a-boo for me . . . maybe you too?

View attachment 854470

BTW this change will not give you "ac" compatibility. The highest this card's form factor is 80211n. Bluetooth 4.0. It comes from the 2012 MacBookPro which (because of this card) has the Continuity/Hand Off feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.