Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jarvis8484

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2004
I'm using 10.2.8 and am not really considering 10.3 . . . 10.4 appears to be not too far off. Do you think upgrading from 10.2.8 directly to 10.4 be problematic?? I'm not very knowledgeable about these types of issues.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
A 10.2 to 10.4 upgrade shouldn't be an issue from the OS point of view. Some of your applications will probably need updated versions.

Some people went from 10.1 to 10.3 with pretty much no issues other than those going from 10.2 to 10.3 had.

Of course each situation is unique so who knows what issues any given person will have with an upgrade.

But if you don't need 10.3, I'd recommend you save your money and wait for 10.4 to come out.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
It probably depends on how you do it. You will be more likely to hit problems if you do an upgrade istall as opposed to an archive and install or clean install.

I would recomend an archive and install. Keeps your data on your computer but gives you a fresh OS.

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
I would suggest you wait a little bit after release -- for a couple 10.4.x versions -- before you install Tiger. And be sure that any FireWire drives or other firmware-flashable peripherals you have are using their latest manufacturer-provided firmware, just in case the problem there was with early Panther resurfaces -- though most likely any release bugs will be relatively minor and will be hammered out within a few weeks of release.

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
yippy said:
It probably depends on how you do it. You will be more likely to hit problems if you do an upgrade istall as opposed to an archive and install or clean install.

I would recomend an archive and install. Keeps your data on your computer but gives you a fresh OS.

Just so you know, there is no such thing as a clean install of Mac OS X. The link below explains what are the kinds of Mac OS X installations:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@634.ASukanEeLrF.1112237@.599b7ba4

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
yippy said:

In my experience, you actually won't have any other choice. An upgrade install of 10.2 over 10.0 isn't possible; neither is an upgrade install of 10.3 over 10.0 or 10.1. Therefore, I strongly suspect that upgrade installs of 10.4 over anything that isn't 10.3 (10.0, 10.1, 10.2) won't be allowed and you'll be forced to do an archive and install or an erase and install (don't try erase and install unless you've got a complete, bootable backup of your system)

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
If you have an older system then you might want to note the system requirements for Tiger too:

- My assumption is that this time Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger will come on a DVD. (For Panther three install disks along with a "Developer Tools" disk was already too pricey for Apple to package compared to one DVD with everything after you think about the thousands upon thousands of copies that were distributed. Also it was annoying for us end users to keep switching the disks just to install the OS.) For some people this is bad because if you don't have a DVD drive you might have to do a little extra to get Tiger installed, but for people like me I would like the convenience.

- Also depending on your video card you might not be able to run all of the core image and core video effects that Tiger offers. For some people, it is probably time for a hardware upgrade. 10.2 to 10.4 is about a two year jump. How old is your system? What are the specs?

- With all of the improved graphics in Tiger you need plenty of memory and a fast processor too.

If you don't have these things then I still think it is a good upgrade and will probably speed up a lot of things overall. 200 new features in Tiger compared to Panther means a lot. :cool:

If you are confident your system can handle the Tiger then give it a try because we all know what the headline in all the papers around the world will be in late 2006, "Longhorn Came Short". This is the chance to beat out all of the ignorant Windoze users in the world. It's a good feeling. :D

NickFalk

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2004
GodBless said:
- My assumption is that this time Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger will come on a DVD. (For Panther three install disks along with a "Developer Tools" disk was already too pricey for Apple to package compared to one DVD with everything after you think about the thousands upon thousands of copies that were distributed. Also it was annoying for us end users to keep switching the disks just to install the OS.) For some people this is bad because if you don't have a DVD drive you might have to do a little extra to get Tiger installed, but for people like me I would like the convenience.
That would be pretty outrageous. My iBook isn't 3 years yet, and it certainly doesn't have a DVD-player. I've chucked one into my G4 Quicksilver though, but Apple should really support less-than-3-year-old systems out of the box at least...

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
NickFalk said:
That would be pretty outrageous. My iBook isn't 3 years yet, and it certainly doesn't have a DVD-player. I've chucked one into my G4 Quicksilver though, but Apple should really support less-than-3-year-old systems out of the box at least...

All you need to do is hook up your iBook to your G4 quicksilver with a firewire cable. Next restart your iBook while holding down the "t" key on the iBook. This will put your iBook in Target mode meaning you will basically be running it as an external hard drive. (That is how your G4 quicksilver will read it anyway.) Now all you do is insert the Tiger install DVD into your quicksilver's DVD drive and then install Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger as you would on your quicksilver but as soon as you come to the screen that says select your drive you want to install Mac OS X Tiger on you would select the iBook's hard drive (which would be there as a firewire drive) instead of the default quicksilver's hard drive. Next go through the whole install process. Now restart your iBook and now the iBook should be running Tiger. The question is not, "Do you have a DVD drive on the system you want to install Tiger on?", the question is "Do you have access to any mac with a DVD drive?"

NickFalk

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2004
Thanks for the tip. Anyway, my main concern was actually not myself. If the hardware requirements are about the same as with Panther I would venture that most of these machines (or at least a very large number) don't have access to a DVD-player...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.