Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Hi to everyone. :)
My question is for 11 Pro Max owners.
Do you upgrade to 12 Pro Max? I really don’t know if I would like to get a new 12 Pro. iPhone 11 Pro Max is such a great phone. Yours answers hopefully help me.
the answer for me is: no, I will not upgrade
the 256 version of 12ProMax is actually $50 less than the 11 Pro Max was.
Apple trade-in for my 11 pro max is $500
Questions you should ask yourself:
. do I have the money to spend?
. do I need 5G (or is there 5G in my area that would give me a benefit)?
. do I need the new camera features?

I understand that some upgrade every year, and that is perfectly ok...

BF1M

Suspended
Nov 17, 2018
Come to think of it the size does get to ya after a while. I should consider the 12 pro myself.

This last cycle I went down to the smaller pro size and haven’t regretted it. That’s why I don’t understand the mini lacking the camera improvements and storage space; that phone would sell like crazy.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
I still have my XS Max, and honestly I don't see any real reason to justify upgrading. The phone is still perform like 2 years ago. I think nowadays upgrading every year is completely useless unless you are the type of person who just like to always buy new tech stuff to play even if they don't really need them.

Reactions: luminouslight

Mellofello808

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
I wouldn't upgrade.

Very minimal gains.

Iphone 11 pro was a huge upgrade in camera, and battery.

Those are the only 2 metrics I really care about at the end of the day.

I am actually considering just buying a 11 pro max.

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
I have an 11 Pro Max 512. I’m also a photographer (hobby). I’m all into the cameras and I must admit I’m thinking about it. I love the one I have right now, but damn... these cameras are just getting more awesome each year!

Reactions: Skika and carbphrek

BlackHawk00

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2017
I work in a phone store, so every year I sell my current one for around $800-$900 and get the new one for around $1100 so basically I only spend about $200-300 out of pocket, to me spending that much is worth the investment since I use my phone every single day

Man, I a so glad to see your post as I do exactly the same every year for the last 4 iPhone cycles. The only difference is I don't work at a phone store, but I still manage to fetch decent cash from my year-old iPhone.

I have recently sold my 11 Pro Max 256GB MG, and by adding another $200, I will get the iPhone 12 Pro Max.

It’s a no-brainer to spend around $200 on an iPhone each year, and especially for the item I use daily for many hours. This is just my way of looking at things.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
This last cycle I went down to the smaller pro size and haven’t regretted it. That’s why I don’t understand the mini lacking the camera improvements and storage space; that phone would sell like crazy.

Yeah you feel 226 grams in the back pocket, especially if you're a lard like men.

I gotta tighten up the belt to feel comfortable.

The good thing is with this Iphone in my back pocket I don't forget to work out everyday. Need to slim down to feel a little better.

Probably the thing about the Pixel 5 that I light is it's a little heavier than the Nexus (for all my old android members).

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
Reactions: denisej

trmiv

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2011
I’m on IUP so I will upgrade. Had I not stupidly opted for the 64gb last year I wouldn’t have this year. But I’m running close on space so I’m going to upgrade just so I can go up to 128gb or 256gb, still debating which.

SHKLMRE

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
Pennsylvania
I’ve upgraded every single year, even on S years. So I knew I was upgrading to whatever pro max device they released this year. With the new design, 5G, larger screen in the similar sized body, and most important to me: the camera upgrades, I believe this is a great year (more than others) to upgrade. My 11 Pro max became my main camera, especially for video so I’m super excited for the 12 Pro Max. I’m also switching from midnight green to the new gold.

yassin1988

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2020
I’m chilling with my 11 pro max LOVE IT ?. To me and I speak for me only specifically, moving from my 11 Pro Max to the 12 Pro Max....honestly, it doesn’t even inspire me one little bit in any way shape or form. Perhaps next year.........?‍♂️

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
I have the 11 Pro Max and I'm seriously considering the 12 Pro. Partly driven by the fact I can order this week. But also given the 12 pro has a very slightly larger screen, this may well suit my needs.

Having ordered the 12pro .... Now that my new cases have arrived, I’m pretty happy with the size compared to my 11pro max .... seems the ideal size for me.

Rockbird86

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
London
I'm going 11 pro max to 12 pro max. The battery on this thing is shocking, can't wait to be rid of it. It won't make any difference to my monthly payments and the funds from this phone will fund an 11 for my daughter for Christmas.

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
I'm going 11 pro max to 12 pro max. The battery on this thing is shocking, can't wait to be rid of it. It won't make any difference to my monthly payments and the funds from this phone will fund an 11 for my daughter for Christmas.
I don’t understand the part where you said the battery on this thing is shocking? I’ve had the 11 Pro Max for a year and I just sold it to someone today and I didn’t have any problem with the battery. What was wrong with it

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
I will upgrade from my 256GB 11 Pro Max to 256GB 12 Pro Max - Still undecided about whether to go for PB or Graphite. I am so tempted to go caseless as i have been using my 11Pro Max caseless for the last week or so and it feels so much nicer.

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
Having ordered the 12pro .... Now that my new cases have arrived, I’m pretty happy with the size compared to my 11pro max .... seems the ideal size for me.
Having had the 12Pro for a little while now .... it’s a great device but I am missing the larger screen of my 11pro max. Seriously thinking about ordering the 12 max next week.

Reactions: beach bum

PlainEnvelopes

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2018
If you are on the apple upgrade program and dont plan to change away from apple why not upgrade every year?
I am never going to use an android phone, so I am not going to pay for the phone for two years to finish my contract.

ShadowGuardian87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
Virginia
I would upgrade but the rumors of next year's phone are too tempting for me. Touch ID coming back, better 5G modem, 120 HZ, maybe USB-C, and an even more awesome camera that might be 64 MP. Because honestly, the next time I upgrade iphones I want it to be as future proof as possible because I am getting to that point in my life where phone upgrades are taking less of a priority.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
I would upgrade but the rumors of next year's phone are too tempting for me. Touch ID coming back, better 5G modem, 120 HZ, maybe USB-C, and an even more awesome camera that might be 64 MP. Because honestly, the next time I upgrade iphones I want it to be as future proof as possible because I am getting to that point in my life where phone upgrades are taking less of a priority.

I think MKDHD said IMO the goal for apple is portless so it makes no sense for USB-C.

I think this will be the standard until Apple can get some of XOAMI's wireless engineers on board, I think they already have 30watt wireless charging for their phones.

I think Apple will go all in on researching faster wireless charging times, no need for any ports.

And I'm guessing a Itunes revamp completely to wifi to phones.

Rockbird86

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
London
I don’t understand the part where you said the battery on this thing is shocking? I’ve had the 11 Pro Max for a year and I just sold it to someone today and I didn’t have any problem with the battery. What was wrong with it
It's been 88% since the summer, runs down in about 4 hours of moderate use. I couldn't take it out for the day without backup. I've never had such a bad battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.