Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

burritolove

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2010
So my 12.9” (a12x bionic, 64gb storage) is on its last legs, battery life is abysmal and feeling slow. I may wipe it clean and see if it helps to delete a bunch of garbage I don’t use. Currently 62/64gb used.

‘that said, from where I’m upgrading from would you suggest the 13” air or pro? I mainly surf the web, play games (mainly MCOC) and use Lightroom a fair bit but I have a 14” m3 mbp too.

main thing pulling ,eq to the pro is the screen and future proofing but will I notice?

apple also giving $315 on the trade in.

edit; forgot to add, I have a Magic Keyboard and Apple Pencil 2

Last edited:

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
would you suggest the 13” air or pro?
Well, I guess that mainly depends on what you want to spend. Both are going to be great updates! Both support the new and awesome Apple Pencil Pro, that I’m sure will receive new features in future releases. And both offer 8GB of RAM. If you’re going to need at least 1TB of storage, and you can afford it, I’d go with the iPad Pro because of the 16GB of RAM.

But if you don’t want to spend too much, and you don’t care about the OLED display, I would honestly settle with the M2 iPad Air. Also, it’s said that the 13” size has an even brighter display than the 11” model (both LCD). No Pro-Motion on the other hand.

My personal recommendation if your budget is rather tight, would be to go with the M2 iPad Air. I use an M2 iPad Pro and it’s a great device. Fast, snappy, reliable… Also, when it comes to the SoC, if you’re not getting the 1TB pro, you’re getting a binned M4 with one less performance core, which I suspect leaves it closer to the M2 performance; at least CPU wise, it will be better at machine learning and GPU performance of course. If you’re an intensive iPad gamer, I’d go for the M4 if you can afford it.

However, like @Apple_Robert said above me, storage is a big factor to take into account and one that might be impacting the performance of your A12X SoC.

This is something I experienced with my 64GB A12X iPadPro when storage was full, but I’ve never experienced on my M2 iPad Pro, despite filling the full 128GB capacity regularly (I need to backup soon). Maybe it’s because the architecture of the M series SoC? Maybe it’s because of the 8GB of RAM that gives more breath to the system, or the faster storage. Or both.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.