Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Miltz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
I can confirm if you are a power user the 2020 SE is very poor in battery life. I had it for over a year but since I was mostly indoors I never had issues. Once I started using it all day outside it saw how bad the battery was. I personally recommend the 13 mini. I know the Face ID with a mask is a pain but other than that it's a upgrade in every way.

Crystal21

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2021
I can confirm if you are a power user the 2020 SE is very poor in battery life. I had it for over a year but since I was mostly indoors I never had issues. Once I started using it all day outside it saw how bad the battery was. I personally recommend the 13 mini. I know the Face ID with a mask is a pain but other than that it's a upgrade in every way.
Apart from the screen. It’s the same awful screen as the 12 mini, afaik.

I’m the opposite of a power user. On a typical day I’ll send a few WhatsApp messages and listen to music for about an hour. Occasionally take a photo. This 12 mini drains without any use at all.

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
@snipr125 Is there any other way to get rid of the screen problems? I don’t think I could tolerate 50% brightness. It’s on auto-brightness and is currently at about 30% but still the light from it is piercing and unbearable. My iPad is also on auto-brightness and it‘s much less bright, despite being in the same room. I’ve tried adjusting settings on the 12 mini. I’ve turned down the white point, turned off True Tone, reduced motion etc but it’s still very uncomfortable to use.

I’m surprised at the battery too. It’s astonishing that such an old iphone can outlast a brand new one. 30 mins of SOT is just ridiculous.

There’s something wrong with your phone. There is zero chance an original SE gets better battery life!

Erase all settings and content and set the phone up again, leave auto brightness off and set it to 55%. If it’s still giving out poor battery return it and get another.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
@snipr125 Is there any other way to get rid of the screen problems? I don’t think I could tolerate 50% brightness. It’s on auto-brightness and is currently at about 30% but still the light from it is piercing and unbearable. My iPad is also on auto-brightness and it‘s much less bright, despite being in the same room. I’ve tried adjusting settings on the 12 mini. I’ve turned down the white point, turned off True Tone, reduced motion etc but it’s still very uncomfortable to use.

I’m surprised at the battery too. It’s astonishing that such an old iphone can outlast a brand new one. 30 mins of SOT is just ridiculous.
I was going to suggest adjusting the white point to 70% ish, but you have already tried that. Also try the 'Increase contrast' setting and this should alleviate some of the brightness somewhat.

Crystal have a look at this thread regarding PWM and see if it can help you (I know its long!)

I'm sorry about your battery issues with your 12 mini, this is not normal at all, 30 mins SOT, many people on here get like 5 hours SOT with their Minis. There has got to be something wrong with your phone.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe

The 12 mini SOT is bad. But not THAT bad. If it has 30 minutes of SOT thethat device is defective, return it immediately.

If you have Spotify installed by any chance, uninstall the app, Spotify has admitted there is an issue that drains the battery pretty fast and they are working on a fix

That said, the 13 mini, believe it or not, has a much, much better battery life, some people say it is equivalent to an iPhone XS Max, which is great. And the size of the same as the 12 mini However, you’re suffering from PMW sensitivity, so the 13 mini is not an option for you either.

Is a pity because the 13 mini is an awesome device, and the last small smartphone in history, probably, but due to the lack of Touch ID on a post-pandemic world, where face masks are going to be worn in closed spaces, makes it very annoying to use if you don’t own an Apple Watch. Otherwise the 13 mini is an awesome device.

I’m considering waiting for an hypothetical SE 3rd gen in March, although I’m a bit tired of a smartphone with rounded edges (I’m using an iPhone 8) but if that’s the only way to use a smartphone with face mask, that’s it.

Maybe your best plan so far is returning your 12 mini, replacing the battery of your SE, and waiting for the SE 3 in March.

Reactions: Crystal21

RCElectricFlyer

macrumors member
May 5, 2007
I replaced an SE1 with the 13 mini. I really liked the small size of the SE so the new phone is a bit bigger than I would like. I still prefer the power button on top to reduce accidental switch activation. But frankly, in every other respect the 13 mini is so much better than the SE1. Battery endurance is certainly better. The increased capability set makes the SE seem dated. I thought I would hate Face ID but I have come to appreciate the speed and convenience it offers (except when wearing a COVID mask of course). One basic thing I now much prefer when navigating is swiping up rather than pressing the Home button. It is faster and easier and seems ideal for the purpose. Sometimes different isn't worse. :)

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I still prefer the power button on top to reduce accidental switch activation.
This is something I really hated when going from my iPhone 5s to iPhone 6s Plus. I would constantly anciently hit the power buttons, often when I was trying to adjust the volume.

I have since gone to an SE1, and am thinking of replacing my aging SE1 with a 13 Mini. I know there will be an adjustment period for multiple things, but your post reminded me of another aspect of the phone that I will probably be annoyed with.

Crystal21

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2021
I still prefer the power button on top to reduce accidental switch activation.
Same with the 12 mini. Every time I try to adjust the volume I end up taking a screen shot. It seems poorly designed. Not just being on the side but being at the exact same level as the volume buttons so if using it one-handed, it’s inevitable that both buttons will be pressed. I now have have nothing but screenshots in my camera roll.

The screen is also too big for me to use one-handed. The ‘touch to wake’ feature means I’m constantly waking it inadvertently. I’ve realised that the bezels on the old SE are actually very useful for holding the phone when watching videos. With the 12 mini, I have to be really careful not to touch the screen and only hold it by the sides. It adds bezels anyway when watching YouTube etc so it seems pointless to have removed them.

They’ve also complicated the ‘do not disturb’ function in control centre. It‘s so quick and simple on my SE but on the 12 mini, it’s changed to ‘focus’ which includes sleep, work and personal categories which is confusing because I’ve already set up the sleep cycle. Apple told me to use the side button to silence the phone instead but that’s difficult with a case on it. it’s a step backwards, IMO.

I don’t mind different, but it should be better, not worse. The nausea-inducing screen alone is enough for me to reject this. Some people say they eventually get used to it but I think technology should be designed to suit the user, not the other way round. I really hope Apple release a better, small phone next year.

GrandeLatte

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2016
Ha. I had the SE1 generation iPhone in pink. I loved it, until it wouldn't last half a day without charging. So I had the battery exchanged last year. Then I still went ahead and bought the 12 Pro Max and never looked back. I thought I was going to keep my SE1 as a backup, mini phone for on the go, but no, I'm too addicted to big screen real estate, and better tech and photo capabilities now.

Life is too short. I want to make and keep some good memories and I take lots of photos and videos.

I really recommend purchasing a 13. You can try the 13 mini. Heard rave reviews about it, or go for the 13 regular size. While an old phone seems nostalgic, it's time for new technology and you'll see the difference immediately.

The Pro lines are great too, if you feel like stepping out of your comfort zone a little.

PS: I sort of gave up on my SE1 because bank sites and documents wouldn't load properly, and I felt like I was the odd person out there.

Reactions: RRC and Bethanie21
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.