Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mb011

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2021
Hello, I am looking to upgrade my current secondary phone SE 2016 to the 12 mini. The battery on my SE is really losing its capacity and is down to 2 days with my usage. It is a 3 year old device (bh 93%) and i am using it just for texting, calls and WA/viber communication, it used to last for 3-4 days, but after upgrading to ios 15 its really losing % on any screen on time and fast... How much battery will i be able to get from the mini considering its bad reputation battery-wise... Any opinions...

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
There’s some battery test videos on YouTube you can watch (of varying results and methods) but the 12 mini should be better than the SE 2016.

Really though, you should absolutely get the 13 mini for the extra $100 bucks. The battery is way better from what everyone says. And my experience with the 13 mini is great battery life. I don’t worry about day use and I get around 3 hours screen on time for 50% battery. I have Apple Watch connected constantly, so you could get more SOY without watch.

Xand&Roby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2020
Another 2016 owner here, from day 1 (replaced 7 in warranty + 2 repairs and 2 battery replacement): from COVID tracking release battery fails, iOS 15 is only the last one bugged sw from Apple (as macOS and other firmware/os).
I wait the spring for a new 13 mini color, but I have no doubt about next purchase (I hope iOS go better, but is not the way and they bricks iPhones), so I need a new one and, see it in person 2 days ago, 13 mini is the only way to get an updated SE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.