Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmjo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2022
Hello

I'm struggling to upgrade an old Imac from 2009 from snow leopard to El Capitan (before jumping to Sierra).

Downloaded ElCapitan from apple web page, go down the road to the installer app in the application folder and then the usual issue iwth dates, file corrupted etc... Tried many dates without any luck.

So my ida was to move to a fresh install, via USB.

Followed the apple official El capitan USB bootable usb key creation to the point of a nice failed to erase the disk (error -9999,0).
Tried two different USb and one external disk with teh same "success".

This is rhe only mac I have "in house", PC with windows or linux.
Tried the transmac way but again the USB is not "bootable".

what can i do, any magical trick ?

Best regards

JM

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
There is no need to upgrade to interim versions. You can directly install the most recent version that your iMac supports.

Reactions: orionquest

jmjo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2022
Hello.

That would be great but anywhere I look, from snow leopard I have to jump to Yosemite or el capitan and then to sierra or high sierra.

If I can make the jump to sierra in one go, that would be great, but how....

And I don' care of erasing the all drive.
Nothing left.

jmjo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2022
Hello

Monterey will surely be a nice optipn, but on a A1311 from late 2009, i doubt that it will install.

I only have one Imac on snow leopard.
I'm on this subject since weeks trying upgrades from yosemite, el capitan with no luck. (the (in)famous corrupted message due to date issues. no real reliable solution)
Trying to make a bootable USB to erase the disk and make a clean install. No way, no success.
Just found one that works from Snow leopard but got an error message when launching the process itself.

I'm just looking for a reliable way to upgrade this old machine to Sierra or high sierra, even by cleaning the actual disk.

I'm 57, used to computer since the 80's. This is the first time I see so much hurdle to do what take me 20 min on any PC with linux.
I hope that someone knows how to achieve this simple task. I can't imagine if the machine was upgraded years ago and no system backup made.....

jmjo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2022
Hello.

Of course that's what I did first.
The outcome is the (in)famous date issue that makes the all process failed.
I've tried many dates options with the very same result at the end.
I've also tried to go via bootable USB, but again it failed during the launch of the upgrade.

What 'i'm loking for is realiabe way to install sierra or high sierra on the Imac, even by erasing the HDD.
and until now, I've not fn a way to make it.
Remember that the only mac I have is this one under snow leopard.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Hello.

Of course that's what I did first.
The outcome is the (in)famous date issue that makes the all process failed.
I've tried many dates options with the very same result at the end.
I've also tried to go via bootable USB, but again it failed during the launch of the upgrade.

What 'i'm loking for is realiabe way to install sierra or high sierra on the Imac, even by erasing the HDD.
and until now, I've not fn a way to make it.
Remember that the only mac I have is this one under snow leopard.
You can't go directly to Sierra or High Sierra from a Mac running Snow Leopard as shown in the link in post #6. You must install Yosemite or El Capitan first, then Sierra or High Sierra can be installed.

Here is a thread that discussed the issues with El Capitan and Sierra installs:

Have you tried to use Disk Utility to run First Aid to verify you internal disk has no problems?

Have you tried to install Yosemite?

Reactions: orionquest

jmjo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2022
Hello

Thanks for the advices and the link.
On a snow leopard, createinstallmedia do not work.
and the installer for yosemite or le capitan gives the same certificate date issue if used according to apple.

So upgrading to Yosemite is not even yet achieved.
Tried this
Make a bootable El Capitan drive from Snow Leopard - pomme - fanpop
wich gives a bootable El capitan USB, that crashes when ending the first step of the install (chance, before touching the HDD)
going from the terminal command. second instruction failed.

I'm a bit desperate.

JM

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Hello

Thanks for the advices and the link.
On a snow leopard, createinstallmedia do not work.
and the installer for yosemite or le capitan gives the same certificate date issue if used according to apple.

So upgrading to Yosemite is not even yet achieved.
Tried this
Make a bootable El Capitan drive from Snow Leopard - pomme - fanpop
wich gives a bootable El capitan USB, that crashes when ending the first step of the install (chance, before touching the HDD)
going from the terminal command. second instruction failed.

I'm a bit desperate.

JM
I'll ask again, did you have Disk Utility First Aid check your internal drive?

Why do you need a installer USB?

Instead of creating a USB installer:
NOTE: MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BACKUP BEFORE TRYING TO INSTALL A NEW OS.
Have you tried launching the installer app in the Applications folder after you download the El Capitan or Yosemite dmg and create the installer app?

jmjo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2022
Hello

I'll try the disk first aid today.

And yes that's that's waht i've done first

download the dmg from apple web site.
open, open pkg, launch the installer from the app .

and eacht time i had the same issue :
1651559537242.png

tried many trick on date, but it looks like i did not found the right one.

what if we condiser erasing the HDD and install sierra or high sierra as fresh install ?

assuming i only have this mac and pc (linux and windows)
do I need to have acces to another mac (more recnt ) to make a proper full system installer and if yes how ?

thanks for your help.

JM

Last edited:

jmjo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2022
Hello

I ran the disk utility, no health problems as far as I can see.

JM

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Hello

I'll try the disk first aid today.

And yes that's that's waht i've done first

download the dmg from apple web site.
open, open pkg, launch the installer from the app .

and eacht time i had the same issue : View attachment 2000233

tried many trick on date, but it looks like i did not found the right one.

what if we condiser erasing the HDD and install sierra or high sierra as fresh install ?

assuming i only have this mac and pc (linux and windows)
do I need to have acces to another mac (more recnt ) to make a proper full system installer and if yes how ?

thanks for your help.

JM
I have never tried to install a newer OS by skipping the minimum OS requirements by erasing the HDD and installing the newer OS with a USB installer. It might work, but there might also be some firmware patches from Yosemite or El Capitan necessary to install Sierra or High Sierra properly.

Here are the requirements to install El Capitan:
Do you have Snow Leopard 10.6.8 installed?

I have never had any luck creating a bootable USB installer without using a Mac. If you do use a newer Mac to download Sierra or High Sierra to make a USB installer then the Mac will need to be capable of running the requested Mac OS. Apple's software checks to see if the Mac can run the OS before the OS can be downloaded.

I use Apple's instructions when creating a USB installer:

Procrastinus

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2021
UK
This may be silly - but it caught me out for a bit! You MUST use Safari browser for the link in GGJstudios' post #6. It will not work for Firefox. Using Safari the whole upgrade to El Capitan was seamless on my iMac 8,1

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.