Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jenny825

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2022
Hi everyone !

I will have in the next few weeks the old Imac late-2009 with a core 2 duo 3.06GHz and a Geforce 9400M from my dad, and I plan to upgrade it.
I already have upgraded the ram to 16Gb and I will change the HDD for a SSD.
I already have an unused old Q8400 and I would like to know if it works on this Imac ?
I search a compatible GPU but i don't know which one to choose ... Not an expensive GPU ^^'

Thanks in advance for the help ^^'

Last edited:

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Hi everyone !

I will have in the next few weeks the old Imac late-2009 with a core 2 duo 3.06GHz and a Geforce 9400M from my dad, and I plan to upgrade it.
I already have upgraded the ram to 16Gb and I will change the HDD for a SSD.
I already have an unused old Q8400 and I would like to know if it works on this Imac ?
I search a compatible GPU but i don't know which one to choose ... Not an expensive GPU ^^'

Thanks in advance for the help ^^'

When you change the HDD for SSD, take a look at other components as well.

I guess you'd find out there not many things you can do with it. Perhaps replacing the current CPU (E7600) with an C2D E8600 is the best thing you can do. (+10% in frequency, double cache memory, about 5% gain in performance).

However, the beautiful thing about this 27" iMac is you can use it as a monitor, with a single miniDisplayPort input. Sound does work, too.

Jenny825

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2022
When you change the HDD for SSD, take a look at other components as well.

I guess you'd find out there not many things you can do with it. Perhaps replacing the current CPU (E7600) with an C2D E8600 is the best thing you can do. (+10% in frequency, double cache memory, about 5% gain in performance).

However, the beautiful thing about this 27" iMac is you can use it as a monitor, with a single miniDisplayPort input. Sound does work, too.
It's not a 27" iMac, it's a 21.5" iMac :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.